Another Pension Book Special

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm eyeing up a 2013 Honda Insight IMA that's for sale locally. Does anyone have any experience of them or own one? In it's day the GenII Insight was the most reliable new car on sale in America, but I'm wondering what they're like 5 years down the line.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't know about them,like i don't know about most cars,but i'd just like to say that there i was at the traffic lights the other day in my Suzuki,with a Toyota in front of me,a Mazda next to me and a Nissan behind me. I thought to myself "heck all we need now is a Mitsubishi" and low and behold one turned up. Crazy!!:wacko:

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm kinda shocked at the mpg this and even the Prius cars achieve. 42 mpg ? (More for the Prius obviously but not astoundingly more) ...i always thought (obviously wrongly) that hybrid cars were very fuel efficient. My 1.5 tonne basic Astra can achieve 48 mpg on a regular basis.
I'm not side swiping them, I'm sure there are advantages (VED of course)...but I was seriously thinking my next car would be a hybrid for fuel efficiency...meh, maybe not.
I'd gladly be enlightened.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Is it the one with the partially covered rear wheels ?

Be aware if not UK spec ie Jap import as parts will be harder to get hold if when needed

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D had a Pious, and I wish I'd taken it over when she got rid. Caned mercilessly by journo's and fools it could return low 40s mpg. Driven by me, and im no economy driving expert, it would,d return nigh 50s about town, high 60s overall in mixed motoring.

The Honda uses a different hybrid set up to the Pious, and I know they're not quite as efficient. However, they're as good is in likely to get without buying a filthy, dirty, nasty diesel, and Hondas use usually better finished than Toyota's. Been driving a lot this weekend helping a chum move house, and I've noted how much im eginning to struggle driving a manual with my nacked shoulder and elbow, so I've been casting my net locally for economical autos, and this popped up.

Reactions: gbb

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Its a shame the Honda has been sales failure as Honda were leading hybrid development before Toyota got into it.

I also think the Insight looks better than the current Prius.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
IIRC they have a reputation for burning lots of oil. In the US (where I was living at the time) I think they had a recall or at least some kind of free repair for the issue. 5 year old hybrid, could start to need a new battery?

Top Bottom