Another possible cyclist death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

catwoman

Got an e-mail through tonight asking for any information/witnesses to a possible cyclist death yesterday (Tuesday 11/12) near the Nags Head junction in Holloway Road, Islington.
The e-mail states the cyclist went under a lorry in the evening rush hour. The writer says he saw police and medics around the lorry and a mangled bike underneath the wheels.
From what he says it sounded absolutely horrific.

ash68

sounds horrific. I only hope, if the worst happened ,it was over quickly and the poor person didn't feel too much pain. IMO too many cyclists die on our roads and not enough is done to prevent it. There are some cyclists who take silly risks, but the vast majority are sensible, law abiding people.Too many motorists speed, use mobile phones when driving, drive without due care and attention and are just too aggressive when they drive. The law needs to understand that motor vehicles are dangerous weapons and punish those who abuse and break the rules of the road.Motorists seem to be the only members of society who can kill and maim at will and get off very lightly indeed. Times need to change.

Tynan

Veteran
I do Nags Head junction, it's rlj central, it's very lights controlled

Holloway Road itself is ok, nice and wide and straight, busy mind

CotterPin

I live in that area and will check out the local press. From what I was hearing last night (Wednesday) it MAY have been that the cyclist was between two lorries.

CotterPin

The problem is that everyone feels safe inside their cage, so can't appreciate the vulnerability of a cyclist. Or pedestrian for that matter.

Maybe they should arrange for poor drivers to be be hit by a car. Not too hard. Just enough for it to hurt a bit, realise the potential danger of their actions and make them think.

Mr Paul - absolutely right. I think that many drivers just do not appreciate the responsibility they have taken on in operating a dangerous piece of machinery. And when efforts are made to redress the balance (eg changing the presumption of liability) then there is an outcry that motorists are being picked upon and that it is unfair.;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
The problem is that everyone feels safe inside their cage, so can't appreciate the vulnerability of a cyclist. Or pedestrian for that matter.

Maybe they should arrange for poor drivers to be be hit by a car. Not too hard. Just enough for it to hurt a bit, realise the potential danger of their actions and make them think.

After every succesful driving test, perhaps, the newly qualified driver should be asked to stand in the carpark, while the examiner drives past them with a foot to spare, at 30mph. Might give them some idea.

Tynan

Veteran
another one we know nothing about but we know it's not the cyclist's fault?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Terminator said:
Make it 70mph arch.

Well, yes, but then they'd say "Ah well, it wouldn't be like that at 30 would it." People need to learn that 30 or even 20, which seems so slow in a car, seems really fast to an unprotected human body. In fact, make them ride a bike round the carpark, and pass close, to make them appreciate the issues of balance and the need to have space.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I was going to suggest learner drivers have to cycle 5 miles each way to their lessons or cycle for a year before getting their licence.

This argument unfortunately falls flat considering London Cabbies do 2 years minium on scooters while learning their trade but when they pass and are ensconsed in a cab(some, not all) turn like a mobile Judas into bike hating fatheads!?

T x

Pete

More to the point, I think, and I have a feeling I've already made a point like this before on this forum:

Drivers should be trained and tested in actual encounters with cyclists, as part of the Driving Test. For example, they should have an instance of a cyclist 'undertaking' them, getting in their blind spot, passing too close to a door, all the sort of things which we know some cyclists get wrong.

For this purpose, a cyclist would have to be enlisted to participate in the test. He/she would of course be an expert cyclist, but specially trained to act the role of a poor cyclist for the purpose of the test. No doubt the CTC could play a part in laying on this sort of cyclist.

For HGV and PSV licences, of course, the 'cyclist encounter test' would play an even bigger role.

Needless to say, all this would cost money. The cyclist would be a professional, paid for his or her services. The cost would come out of the driving test fee, which would make the driving test more expensive. Which might not be a bad thing, considering...;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's a very good idea Pete! It goes exactly along with the observable outcomes for National Standards cycling training. Essentially this boils down to the trainee having to interact with other traffic, particularly motor vehicles, in the particular on-road drill in order for him/her to have achieved the purpose of the exercise.

OP
OP
catwoman

catwoman

Got an update on the cyclist via e-mail from the local cycling group. She's in intensive care at the Whittington Hospital and has had surgery on her legs. She is from Hackney. Hope she pulls through.

Top Bottom