Another touring "what bike" thread - Sub 1K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
It wasn't a case of a difference of opinion Mr Jowwy.
You blatantly insulted the man's bike thus insulting him. All I did was give you a taste of your own medicine.
If you think you did no wrong, maybe you should wonder then why so many have called you out on it.
There was absolutely no need whatsoever for you to post your thoughts on how skipdivers bike looked. Had you pointed out a fault with the bike as to why it was unsuitable for touring then that might sway the ops view on that or a similar bike for its intended purpose, but you thinking its less than pretty and letting everyone know it doesn't help anyone.
ive had many people on here call my own personal bikes less than pretty, i didn't take it to heart. i just accepted that not everyone would be of the same opinion to me. thus i didn't need to stoop to personal abuse to get my point across. i've been banned for a lot less than what you posted up thread about me personally.........

vickster

Legendary Member
each to their own......but your own distain for other peoples bikes, especially black ones are very well know
I would never describe a black bike as disgusting however...do you understand the concept of jesting ;) or the use of :whistle:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I would never describe a black bike as disgusting however...do you understand the concept of jesting ;) or the use of :whistle:
ah so putting smiley faces etc etc means you can get away with posting nonsense........i put a smiley on it M'lord so all is ok

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
It wasn't a case of a difference of opinion Mr Jowwy.
You blatantly insulted the man's bike thus insulting him. All I did was give you a taste of your own medicine.
If you think you did no wrong, maybe you should wonder then why so many have called you out on it.
There was absolutely no need whatsoever for you to post your thoughts on how skipdivers bike looked. Had you pointed out a fault with the bike as to why it was unsuitable for touring then that might sway the ops view on that or a similar bike for its intended purpose, but you thinking its less than pretty and letting everyone know it doesn't help anyone.

Not to mention also that your post has led to the thread going off topic. :headshake:
I'm happy to confirm that the Royal is eminently suitable for touring. I did many thousands of miles on my original green one in the 80s.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the bike that has been a standard for touring bikes for years, the Dawes Galaxy. Available in three different versions now starting at £700:
https://dawescycles.com/product/galaxy/
Interesting link.

Copy opens with:

"The Galaxy is designed to open a whole new world of touring for those on a slightly more restrictive budget."

which strikes me as notable - I'm no expert on it but I had the idea that of old it was pitched higher in the market than that.

Also interesting to me is the sloping top tube (I like) and the ally (not).

Personally (and it is just me) I prefer my self-built 90s steel hybrid thingies.

By the by @CanucksTraveller did you say what these supposedly decrepit hybrids of yours are?

(speaking as the owner of 3 possible candidates)

edit - at the risk of thread drift, it is perfectly possible to move around on flatbar bikes - mine are set up with 3 at least - and I can still see where I'm going and operate all the controls with ease.

edit edit - flatbars are also more forgiving when it comes to later changes/maintenance due to more relaxed compatibility issues/general tinkering.

and you can more easily stick to 9 speed, despite the industry's best efforts to move ever "upwards" - I was shocked even a few years ago when looking for a tourer to find that the standard build of the long haul trucker workhorse had gone to 10 speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
@CanucksTraveller did you say what these supposedly decrepit hybrids of yours are?

(speaking as the owner of 3 possible candidates).

Well I've got a Trek 7.3FX which is 10 years old, decrepit was unkind but it's done a lot of commuting miles and it's still original except for tyres and brake blocks, so it's worn, creaky, just about everything would need checking over and possibly will need parts replacing. Maybe even new wheels. On the upside it already has most of the equipment, rack, guards, twin cages.
The other one is a Giant Escape which is newer and actually nice to ride for what it cost, but it's so low spec, and would likely need upgrading, and certainly equipping better, so I thought I might as well just get a tourer.

There also seems to be so little room on a flat bar hybrid for lights, computer, bell etc with the position of the gear lever mounts. I've struggled to fit 2 items (light and computer) on the Trek bars. And I would like to have a range of positions, definitely.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The load on the bike is worth considering.

I've ridden - and fallen off - an overloaded hybrid.

Such a bike would be a dead loss on a multi day self supported tour.

Steel tourers are designed to be ridden loaded.

The likes of the Spa tourers and Galaxy have a good name for stability.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Mmmmmmm I'm sorta with you on that.
Certainly, a tourer is designed and built for touring but that's not to say other bike styles are incapable of it.
Penny Farthings have gone around the world, I know of a guy that did Lejog and back on a Raleigh Chopper and we have our own @HobbesOnTour crossing the Americas on a mountain bike.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Regards @Blue Hills comments on the current Galaxy range I think they've had to move down market price wise but £700 for a ready to go tourer can't be bad. I too would prefer a steel frame but you can't argue against it being great value. There's always the Chromo, which doesn't look like a tourer, and the Ultra for steel enthusiasts.
I agree that 9 speed is all you need and you could always source a used Galaxy with a steel frame at a good price.

Top Bottom