Another tyre question im afraid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dnrc

Veteran
I've got a dawes galaxy which i'm currently using as a road bike (i've stripped the mudguards and rack etc)

As ease of riding and speed are my priorities at the moment and until i can afford a proper road bike i'm considering minor upgrades to go a little faster.

I guess tyres is going to be a good start.

It's currently got schwalbe marathon 700 x 32c on WTB Dual duty XC 700c wheels.

Is changing the tyres going to be a decent improvement and how thin can and should i go?

battered

Guru
28c will go. Maybe 25, depends on the rims as they sound chunky. The schwalbes are good bt wow, they are heavy. How about riding into the LBS for a chat and advice? This is their bread and butter.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
For a given rider the biggest impediment to speed is not the bike's weight but aerodynamics (and that mainly due to the rider's profile/riding position, rather than that of the bike/components).

As you know already the best place to save weight is rotational weight at the rim/tyre. Your rim is perhaps some 100g heavier than the best competitive rim, i.e. not much. However at 800g your tyres are about 3x heavier than a reasonable racing tyre (such as any of the Rubino Pro's, which can be pumped up to around 140psi). You will definitely notice a difference, and for very little cost.

Top Bottom