Another +ve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Keith Oates said:
On a lighter note, who will Rudehomme blame for this mess because the UCI are not involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny how ASO and AFLD are catching them though, and UCI couldn't or didn't want to, isn't it Keith ?

mondobongo

Über Member
Its concerning that apparently Saunier Duvals Bus and Cars were searched by the Gendarmerie. It suggests that there were others than Ricco at it and will be the reason that the whole Team has gone. In the other two cases it was as we know only the rider concerned.

doyler78

mr_hippo said:
It's time for the 'tough love' approach - Positive A + B samples should result in a ban sine die and no excuses/appeals or retro-active medicals and the team should be banned as well. Riders achievements should be expunged from all record books and no further involvement with the professional peloton.
The sine die ban should be retro-active so anyone in the professional peloton who has had a previous ban - get another job.

Ban teams? Might as well ban cycling in that case!

All this proves is that there is a war between those that dope to those trying to seeking to expose them and technology is the machine that both use to try and achieve their aim.

It is niave to expect that doping will ever be eliminated in the absence of an abosolute test which proves doping in every case in which there would be no incentive to dope.

It find it strange that people ask why people continue to do this because it seems obvious to me that the answer is because they think they can get away with it and fame or riding in a pro team is more important at that time than the chance that they may get caught.

We should at least be realistic about what can be achieved through an anti-doping strategy and this talk about eliminating is only setting unrealistic expectations from those within and from outside the sport about what can be achieved and when dopers are discovered at least a more reasoned understanding of it can derived.

Tetedelacourse

So is anyone NOT thinking about the past 11 stages and trying to recall riders who looked to be performing above expectation now? :smile:

Has anyone considered Ca... never mind.

yello

Yep Rico. Oh shoot. He's a stupid kid... he has natural talent... why oh why.

http://www.lemonde.fr/sports/articl...ardo-ricco-controle-positif_1074525_3242.html

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tete, I'm gutted about Ricco, because the sprint away on his second stage win was a real highlight of the tour for me. Still, catch the cheats, throw them out seems the best way to proceed.

As for the others, I'm not letting my opinions of them be clouded.

yello

I'm really pissed off/depressed now. Seriously. I was so optimistic about this new era. But Ricco.... it shows there are still lessons to be learned, the message isn't getting through. The way I feel now, I'd support a life ban. And I'm dead serious.

mondobongo said:
Its concerning that apparently Saunier Duvals Bus and Cars were searched by the Gendarmerie. It suggests that there were others than Ricco at it and will be the reason that the whole Team has gone. In the other two cases it was as we know only the rider concerned.
Standard practice. Doping is a criminal offence in France, hence the police involvement. Remember Cofidis last year?
IIRC, of course.

If riders are still trying it then it must be because they know that there is a good chance of getting away with it (eg Ricco at the Giro). Hopefully, if the ASO are being more efficient than the UCI at pursuing the cheats and if testing processes are getting more sophisticated then we might be looking at more +tives and less cheating.
Unless this is just a temporary blip until the cheats (plus teams, doctors etc) regroup and start to pull away again....

doyler78

mr_hippo said:
I was in management for many years and I knew what was going on so why are managers of cycling teams turning a blind eye? Can't they see and hear?

I don't doubt that but what you proposed was a blanket ban. That is plain silly. If there was any evidence of team involvement then of course they should be banned however there are clearly now teams that are trying to get on top of this problem and you want to make them responsible for the actions of a rogue person.

Also not sure what you mean by banning a team. Surely you must mean the personnel as you could just change the name.

You don't win a fight by blaming everyone for the actions of some. You need all the people on your side that you can get and that includes, very importantly, the team management. Your approach would actually be counter productive in my opinion. It could make some wonder why they bother when they are going to be treated like criminals anyway.

mondobongo

Über Member
Chuffy said:
Standard practice. Doping is a criminal offence in France, hence the police involvement. Remember Cofidis last year?
IIRC, of course.

Yes I know what you are saying Chuffles but in the reports of the other 2 cheats they were nicked off down to the station whilst their Hotel room was searched,thrown out but Team left in. This time it seems a lot more action has taken place. Cars and Buses searched Team withdraws leading me to think its not just Ricco at Saunier Duval.

Top Bottom