Another +ve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob S

yello said:
I doubt they are. Ricco's test was after Stage 4 wasn't it?? I suspect the labs are 24/7 with testing at the moment! I reckon results take a while.

Exactly...which is why I'm so suprised he was stood there telling us we could all rest assured that Cav had won all three clean.

yello

Noodley said:
..not very, I would venture.

Care to share your thinking? I'm interested. You're usually pretty rational in your analysis - which is more than I can be at the moment!

Noodley

doyler78 said:
I think ASO should take a tough stance on cheats but they must not act outside the law because that discredits them and cycling.

They are not operating outside the law, those who dope are. There is no law about using non-validated tests.

doyler78

Noodley said:
They are not operating outside the law, those who dope are. There is no law about using non-validated tests.

Yes I can see that is right :?: :laugh: however then that leaves the team in a very difficult position and ASO can just walk away from it as they will be banned from any race run by ASO if Ricco remains in their team however they will not be able to sack him unless they have grounds to do so and a non validated test is unlikely to constitute grounds so where now?

It's all well and good to have this tough stance but what other teams could get caught like this? I don't think it is impossible to see one rider from a lot of teams getting caught in which case we won't have any races at all.

yello

doyler78 said:
I was of course talking about any rider challenging a doping ban from a validated test.

Why "of course"? I wasn't sure who you were referring to. That's why I asked. There was no 'edge' to my question.

How exactly did anyone piss about with Landis, et al.

Landis and his legal team pissed about, and will probably continue you to do so. It's that that I refer to.

I think you mistake me. I'm not having a go at you. I'm just fed up with dopers. I think ASO are and I think the cycling public are. I think ASO can use their own authority to invite who they damn well like, and to hell with courts of law (within reason). I'm fed up with people employing legal teams to find technicalities. If a UCI "leading expert" can say 'we know but we can't prove it' then I suspect there's some pretty solid background for suspecting doping.

Yes, it's a kind of 'big brother' scenario I'm suggesting but right now, in the mood I'm in, it's what appeases me. I can't tell you how generally sickened I am with Ricco - because I wanted to believe advances were being made... and I've been kicked in the guts.

doyler78

yello said:
Why "of course"? I wasn't sure who you were referring to. That's why I asked. There was no 'edge' to my question.

Landis and his legal team pissed about, and will probably continue you to do so. It's that that I refer to.

I think you mistake me. I'm not having a go at you. I'm just fed up with dopers. I think ASO are and I think the cycling public are. I think ASO can use their own authority to invite who they damn well like, and to hell with courts of law (within reason). I'm fed up with people employing legal teams to find technicalities. If a UCI "leading expert" can say 'we know but we can't prove it' then I suspect there's some pretty solid background for suspecting doping.

Yes, it's a kind of 'big brother' scenario I'm suggesting but right now, in the mood I'm in, it's what appeases me. I can't tell you how generally sickened I am with Ricco - because I wanted to believe advances were being made... and I've been kicked in the guts.

Sorry I took the question about they as a direct challenge to my anti-doping credentials. I accept that isn't what you intended.

I agree. I believe he has doped and I now understand ASO's right to ban him is legal however this is now very messy because the UCI and the team are now left in an impossible position unless they can validate the French Anti-Doping Agency results and that looks unlikely from what we hear.

I hope that isn't the case and he is banned. It's his right to challenge the bans should he so wish and I have no problem with that. I don't see the legal process as a farce as many do. I just hope in the process they do bankrupt themselves because they know that have acted totally without regard for their own health and greatly to the detriment of the sport they purport to love.

Noodley

doyler78 said:
Yes I can see that is right :laugh: :biggrin: however then that leaves the team in a very difficult position and ASO can just walk away from it as they will be banned from any race run by ASO if Ricco remains in their team however they will not be able to sack him unless they have grounds to do so and a non validated test is unlikely to constitute grounds so where now?

It's all well and good to have this tough stance but what other teams could get caught like this? I don't think it is impossible to see one rider from a lot of teams getting caught in which case we won't have any races at all.

Indeed.

As I said before, I hold the team/doctors/management etc more repsonsible than the riders; perhaps it is time to get rid of anyone with a sullied and non-repenting approach? There are those who have doped and who are now riding clean or in coaching positions with a clean approach - but there continues to be an involvement of those who accept doping as okay; managers, drivers, riders, hangers-on, etc.. and fans!

I have been to 2 Tours - 2005 in Paris and 2006 in the Alps (yes, the Floyd breakaway stage :sad: when I stood with my daughter at what I thought at the time was showing her a stunning sporting event which she could look back on - stop me if you have heard this story before :?: - for the rest of her life. Men battling against all the elements and all that stuff). I feel cheated; I love cycling. It cut me to the core (and this is truthful, not just a made up sound bite) for her to turn to me and say 'they're just druggies' :wacko:xx(:ohmy:

yenrod

mondobongo said:
Its concerning that apparently Saunier Duvals Bus and Cars were searched by the Gendarmerie. It suggests that there were others than Ricco at it and will be the reason that the whole Team has gone. In the other two cases it was as we know only the rider concerned.

Makes me wonder if the DS said to everybody 'right here, right now, has anyone else ****ed around with shoot'...

Just like Mondo said...

they've all gone - how / why else would they ALL go...

The italians are too competitive, 'at all costs' - believe me ive lived there... Yet the cultures great though :?:

Noodley

Moreau. Sore back? :?:

mondobongo

Über Member
I hate the fact that there are still plenty of bad boys involved in the sport. Look at the quality of CSC some great riders in there but I can never get fully behind them because of the Riis connection.

Its time they went and time the ban was increased from 2 years to something significant.

yello

Noodley said:
IMen battling against all the elements and all that stuff). I feel cheated; I love cycling. It cut me to the core (and this is truthful, not just a made up sound bite) for her to turn to me and say 'they're just druggies' :wacko::?::laugh:

That is how I feel - personally hurt. The radio and TV are full of it over here so I'm not alone. I wanted to believe Landis was the last one. I dismissed Beltran as 'old school'; Nevado was a stupid, one-off no-one... but Ricco? I can't ignore that. He's young and talented, he'd get results clean. I now feel (again) that cycling still has a problem and my optimism has been crushed.

Sorry all if I was being irrational and emotional last evening. I've calmed down a little now but I'm still not happy. I've had my enjoyment of the last 3 tours ruined by dopers and where I was once philosophical about it, I'm now heartily sick of it. Selfish, I know. I want them gone.

Tetedelacourse

We've been here before. This one is raw because it's happening now, but how many false dawns have we had? Ricco came from nowhere, he's not an established name like the past few seasons have thrown up.

OK there may have been a lot of anti-doping cycling press this year, but only within the cycling world. It hasn't seeped out into mainstream media so I can see that folk who read a lot of cycling press might see this as catastrophic, but peripheral fans and spectators from outside the sport wont see it as AS damaging as previous years.

I suppose ultimately it's a pointless discussion to try to convince each other that this scandal is bigger than the last or vice versa though.

It's really worrying to hear that doping expert (thanks for link) say there is no validated test and yet that's what Ricco was kicked out for. Really worrying.

yello

Yeah, I know what you're saying tete. Maybe you're right; false dawns, raw now, etc... I can't be objective right now.

Maybe it is exactly because Ricco is new that I feel so disillusioned. A new kid being lured into old ways...

Tetedelacourse

It might also be because he has been the most exciting rider this year, and the genuine buzz it gave you/ me admiring his precociousness has now been rubbished.

I remember feeling exactly the same watching Rasmussen and Contador zipping up the Pyrenees last year, then being embarrassed at my excitement later on.

Top Bottom