Another very poor design by a very respected manufacturer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weareHKR

Have posted before about a very poor design of a carbon bike frame with an inbuilt design but heres another this time the seat post, watch the video and let me know your views, just hope it does not ruin any ones day if they have just bought or own one.
Personally, I thought this was quite adequate...:okay:
If you don't like it why not just move on instead of bitching about it! :rolleyes:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Will be interesting to see how Canyon respond to the issue, so far they blame the user error for using carbon paste and say it is just aesthetics which is complete nonsense.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...w-patent-hints-at-developments-to-come-490197

SheilaH

Steel rusts. Aluminium has a relatively short fatigue life. Titanium is hugely expensive and prone to cracking if manufacturing environment is not closely controlled. None of them are perefect, all of them have some advantages.

What is quite interesting with this case is that it is a specific element of design at fault here, rather than a quality control process during manufacture. Drago posted earlier with a disparaging remark about Canyon frames and their quality, but actually even the most presitigious brands have qc issues because they outsource their production.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Steel rusts. Aluminium has a relatively short fatigue life. Titanium is hugely expensive and prone to cracking if manufacturing environment is not closely controlled.
There's always this:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There's always this:

574016-fcabd479c62fb15d6a1ad82a90f4475f.jpg
That looks inflammable... :whistle:

gbs

Guru
Well done to David Philips for acting as a consumer champion. Use it or ignore it but don't abuse it -what is the point of abuse unless you have a evidenced based objection.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Yes Colin agree and dont see any real advantage from moving away from a simple and proven design, know there have been many frame deigns with rubber inserts at the top of the seat post etc that allow the seat down tube to flex and they seem work but think either lower seat stays or a longer seat post maybe titanium if some fleex is required might be more practical than a frame like the canyon if some small extra bit of comfort is paramount?

What i have found and its only my view if i have a saddle thats right for me then the size of the tyres i use and the pressure in them makes more of a difference to ride quality than any seat post or frame design or material?

What really continues to surprise me is that so many poor and badly though out designs seem to come from the upper end of the bike market?

Top Bottom