Anthony, I salute your ability to find wild camping sites

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
In all countries, if you have permission then you're fine - I've heard of plenty of people staying on farm fields with permission of the farmer or knocking on the doors of houses in the middle of nowhere and pitching up in their garden etc.etc.

ASC1951

Guru
My most surreal wild camp was inland in Turkey. We had flung up the tent in the dark on the edge of a field. The first thing we saw in the morning was the farmer stumping across from his house - but all he wanted was to make sure we didn't leave without a good supply of his spring onions, which he was rightly proud of. Top bloke.

ttony002

Über Member
wild camping

i might be wrong but i understand that you could camp on any of the village or town common. most of the ones i have noticed are just outside the town/village.
this is as long as you do not access the common with a motorised vehicle.
not the most private or safe but most have a quite corner.
anyone know about this ?

Anthony

ttony002 said:
i might be wrong but i understand that you could camp on any of the village or town common. most of the ones i have noticed are just outside the town/village.
this is as long as you do not access the common with a motorised vehicle.
not the most private or safe but most have a quite corner.
anyone know about this ?

I haven't done this in England before, so I don't really have a comment about that. But I have wild camped in a couple of town/village commons in France. One time, somebody did approach me but was happy enough when I said I was only camping there for one night.
So, it is not the ideal place to camp but it is a viable option if needed.

friedel

You do develop a good eye for wild camping sites and you also start to learn when it's probably going to be difficult, in which case, you make other back-up plans.

Wild camping is technically illegal in France (don't know about Spain) but as long as you're being quiet and respectful (not jumping fences, starting fires, trampling cultivated fields), the chances you get moved on are quite slim. I always figured the line: "But sir, I'm cycling around the world." would go a long way and anyway... a night in the police station sounds pretty luxurious by comparison. Might even get breakfast and a hot shower!

Top Bottom