Anti log burner brigade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
5kg hydrogen would presumably have similar calorific value as a couple of gallons of petrol, so nearly 90kg of carbon fibre to merely contain it seems bonkers, although if they put up with a bigger volume at 200bar I guess they could reduce the weight required

The physics of mass hydrogen usage is an absolute nightmare. The energy needs to produce, store and transport make it one of the least efficient paths available.

I once read that traditionally you stack it a year where you cut the trees down, then you stack it in cut pieces in a woodpile /stack for a year then use it for a year. The main point is how it's stacked, it must allow airflow through the stack to take out moisture.

The issue is that even kiln dried wood often gets stored in cold garages or sheds often taking on moisture. Only to have a night's worth brought in to "dry" on the night of burning.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I once read that traditionally you stack it a year where you cut the trees down, then you stack it in cut pieces in a woodpile /stack for a year then use it for a year. The main point is how it's stacked, it must allow airflow through the stack to take out moisture.

The issue is that even kiln dried wood often gets stored in cold garages or sheds often taking on moisture. Only to have a night's worth brought in to "dry" on the night of burning.

That's pretty much it. I split it as soon as it is felled, then leave it uncovered for two years until I have room in my woodstores (which are open sided), where it stays for a year and is then burned.

Gillstay

Über Member
Along with "don't sit parked in your car with the engine idling while you check your Faceache/wait for the kids to come out of school/wait for your partner to do the Tesco shop..."

That is one I just don't get that would again help with the climate crisis. Perhaps they just don't think it will effect them, or its for somebody else to find a solution.

That is one I just don't get that would again help with the climate crisis. Perhaps they just don't think it will effect them, or its for somebody else to find a solution.

they "need" to have it running to power the heater and or air con
and to charge their phone/tablet

Outside school then they need it so the car is nice and warm for little jonney/mary when they come out of school
so it is essential for the welfare of their kids
funny how it os normally a big SUV - normally diesel

GuyBoden

Guru
Thanks, your wood burner's small particle emissions (PM2.5) and other emitters are killing my lungs.

Happy..............cough..........cough...............splutter..........splutter........... christmas.

1_ERR_WOL_260722_Roman-Kemp__01.jpg

Thanks, your wood burner's small particle emissions (PM2.5) and other emitters are killing my lungs.

Happy..............cough..........cough...............splutter..........splutter........... christmas.

View attachment 716641

Yup
Due to my wife's asthma we got am air filter for the lounge
In includes a monitor that shows the current polution levels, including PM 2.5 (small particles)

In summer it goes mad if next door have a Barbie
Me cooking on the electric grill in the kitchen doen't have much effect - unless something burns!

I liked your post @GuyBoden because you have just brought home the real issue with woodburning stoves. They are s significant source of the pollution that harms even kills people. Air quality isn't a nice thing to have, it's essential for many with health issues made worse by fine particulates.

On another forum I've seen the actual research into this. Domestic woodburning is a major source of PM10 and PM2.5 particulates. A significant factor in public health. I bet if you looked there will be research indicating the number of excess deaths due to air quality / pollution.

Enough preaching. I don't think you'll convince people even with such a photograph. Woodburners give that cosy feeling and that's more important.

classic33

Leg End Member
And still we use aerosols in confined space's. Whose PM matter is much the same size, often smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom