Any benefits of a Carbon crank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
Any advise is there a clear advantage of a carbon crank vs a steel crank? I know some riders of Tour De France are using it. What’s the estimated weight difference per arm that warrant the change.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I doubt you'll find many steel cranks around. They're usually some kind of alloy.

The weight difference isn't so great, but you might find that the carbon cuts out a tiny amount of vibration. But....in the crazy world of cycling upgrades this wouldn't be my top priority.

Wornout

They do make a difference, but that's IMO. Certainly nicer to ride with, but again that's IMO...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Depending on the construction, they can be lighter while maintaining the same rigidity, or even increased rigidity. This is good if you are a weight weenie or if you want to run a power meter as the light weight crankset can allow you to run a power meter without as much of a weight penalty.

Above all else, they look farking pro!

I changed the FSA SL-K carbon chainset on my CAAD10 for an Ultegra alu one, (couldn't afford DA), when I modified my BB30 to Hollowtech II.

Absolutely zero difference in IMO.

I have also heard of the pedal threads coming loose in carbon cranks as well, never heard of it in alu ones TBH.

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
Oh, all the while I thought the crank its stainless steel. So the general consensus appears to agree no gain huh.

Not so much the crank on its own. Some would argue stiffness and lightweight but it's only going to be noticeable as part of a groupset. Shimano get good results from ALU but are not as light as the equivalent Sram or Campag groupsets. Both of the latter are carbon groupo's with Sram Red being the lightest followed by Super Record.
I have Campag Chorus groupo which is very good IMO but there is no way i would put a carbon crank on something like Shimano 105. Be a waste of ££.
In terms of buying a bike or building a bike then Carbon can serve a purpose. Someone above mentioned carbon cranks look cool. I would agree, especially with carbon brake levers or even naked fibre on a bike frame.
FWIW i wouldn't shun Dura Ace because it wasn't carbon. Though i think they offer carbon crank options.

Drago

Legendary Member
A small weight advantage is all. They have to be stiff that the vibration damping properties of carbon are largely negated.

They look smmutty, but within a few months of hard riding can look quite scruffy.

On balance I can't see an argument for having them on a bike that isn't used for racing, unless you're compensating for an exceptional small winky.

Top Bottom