Any benefits of a Carbon crank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And there I was feeling slightly precious for having carbon seat stays, forks and seatpost.

It's a bicycle.

I will be a fat, slow middle-aged man whatever I ride.

There is a frisson of joy in any new part fitted. Even a new stem will make the bike feel faster, lighter and lubier for the first 10 miles.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
And there I was feeling slightly precious for having carbon seat stays, forks and seatpost.

It's a bicycle.

I will be a fat, slow middle-aged man whatever I ride.

There is a frisson of joy in any new part fitted. Even a new stem will make the bike feel faster, lighter and lubier for the first 10 miles.
The half life of the buzz from new componentry is, like that of gratitude, approximately 20 minutes.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Depending on the construction, they can be lighter while maintaining the same rigidity, or even increased rigidity. This is good if you are a weight weenie or if you want to run a power meter as the light weight crankset can allow you to run a power meter without as much of a weight penalty.

Above all else, they look f***ing pro!

Isn't there some sort of stick on stuff you could get to make things look like they're carbon fibre. If there is I'm gonna stick it on everything on my hybrid steel tank of a bike. Mudguards, rack, panniers, saddle, spokes, everything. Well wicked.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The biggest advantage of anything carbon and especially carbon cranks is not the stiffness, or the light weight its that you get shunned by Ianrauk and his buddys rolling with exotic titanium alloys :rofl:
That's why he tells everyone about carbon sticker wrap, but I have him covered..... tin foil is the poor mans titanium wrap and I have loads of the stuff :thumbsup:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
You should be trying to shave weight off a beast like that, not add to it :whistle:
I'm afraid it's beyond "shaving" weight off it. The easiest way to get any real weight reduction on my bike would be to move to a civilisation on another planet with appreciably less gravitational pull than the earth. If there really is a civilisation on the moon (as we are lead to believe) this would be my nearest and best bet.

Besides putting carbon effect adhesive on things will make it lighter and stronger. Don't you know anything about carbon fibre? It's a wonder material.:whistle:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I changed the FSA SL-K carbon chainset on my CAAD10 for an Ultegra alu one, (couldn't afford DA), when I modified my BB30 to Hollowtech II.

Absolutely zero difference in IMO.

I have also heard of the pedal threads coming loose in carbon cranks as well, never heard of it in alu ones TBH.
I have the Dura-Ace and Susie has the FSA. I've told her that her kit is superior to mine and she's happy with that, and I'm happy that she's happy - so I'd be grateful if you would keep this intelligence to yourself.

Top Bottom