Any boater or sailing enthusiast's ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
One of my boats going well up Loch Linnhe in a cruise in company hence the photo not taken by me. Never got round to sorting the sail number. Good cruiser and more robust than the later models. She is still going and locally owned and the name shortened to a more appropriate Gull.
8A0F4EA8-4C28-434F-87B8-5A8E51A795FC.jpeg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Perhaps some of the seasoned vets on here would give me some advice? My sailing experience is limited to a week-long tour of the Sound of Jura in a Bayraider, which wasn't very comfortable, plus a couple of other trips. We will soon be living beside a Scottish loch and I want a rowing boat for exercise and because I do enjoy rowing. It will only be me and Mrs Gti plus the occasional visitor so wouldn't need to seat more than four. I'd like to be able to take it and row it on different lochs so a trailer and a boat light enough for two ageing people to manage is what we need. I do like the idea of a traditional wooden skiff as we've been enjoying the videos of Leo Goolden restoring Tally Ho on Youtube so I wouldn't want fibreglass. I like the look of the Acorn skiff, which is a design by Ian Oughtred, a nice elegant, fast lightweight skiff in almost any length you want.

There are a couple of disused boathouses near us on the loch, we could re-roof one I guess but there's no jetty and we would have to keep the boat in a rather reedy little sheltered bay, meaning we would need a canvas cover, a small jetty and some kind of mooring if the National Park allowed them. Is all this a bit of a pipe dream? Any thoughts or comments?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
One of my boats going well up Loch Linnhe in a cruise in company hence the photo not taken by me. Never got round to sorting the sail number. Good cruiser and more robust than the later models. She is still going and locally owned and the name shortened to a more appropriate Gull. View attachment 522679
For the purists note the round porthole in the fore cabin. Later models were square. The sail number can be made out but it is CR34 in case of doubt.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Perhaps some of the seasoned vets on here would give me some advice? My sailing experience is limited to a week-long tour of the Sound of Jura in a Bayraider, which wasn't very comfortable, plus a couple of other trips. We will soon be living beside a Scottish loch and I want a rowing boat for exercise and because I do enjoy rowing. It will only be me and Mrs Gti plus the occasional visitor so wouldn't need to seat more than four. I'd like to be able to take it and row it on different lochs so a trailer and a boat light enough for two ageing people to manage is what we need. I do like the idea of a traditional wooden skiff as we've been enjoying the videos of Leo Goolden restoring Tally Ho on Youtube so I wouldn't want fibreglass. I like the look of the Acorn skiff, which is a design by Ian Oughtred, a nice elegant, fast lightweight skiff in almost any length you want.

There are a couple of disused boathouses near us on the loch, we could re-roof one I guess but there's no jetty and we would have to keep the boat in a rather reedy little sheltered bay, meaning we would need a canvas cover, a small jetty and some kind of mooring if the National Park allowed them. Is all this a bit of a pipe dream? Any thoughts or comments?
While a traditional wooden skiff is very appealing and I rather fancy one myself there are drawbacks. One of the Ian Oughtred ones was for sale near me and I did consider it. If you are not very experienced with boats they are rather narrow beam I think. length and beam is more important than the number of seats. It is not like buying a car. If purely for rowing a double ender is ok but putting an outboard on has drawbacks without a transom.
Having had too many boats over the years I would go for fibreglass as wood needs to be well looked after or rot can set in very quickly. There are many factors to take into account re shape and size but not being currently active in that field I am not able to advise on specific boats and their handling.
For your use I think nothing less than 4.5 metres length but beam I am afraid I go by eye. A long keel also makes for easier rowing as you can keep a straight line better. Could you borrow a few boats to try out which would be better than just jumping in and possibly making an expensive mistake?
Trailers are a different ball game again and there are good and bad features there also as some are easier to use for launch and recovery than others.
A bit long winded perhaps but it is a very wide field.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That was what I thought. Thanks for the advice. The alternative is a Canadian canoe, which would be stable and could even take us down suitable rivers. Easier to transport and pull out of the water too.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That was what I thought. Thanks for the advice. The alternative is a Canadian canoe, which would be stable and could even take us down suitable rivers. Easier to transport and pull out of the water too.
I used to have the use of a Canadian 18 ft wooden canoe called Susquehanna ( not sure of the spelling now) which we used on Loch Lomond. We being wife and 2 children. It was really good but you had to learn how to paddle it on one side only which needs a twisting stroke to keep on a straight line. Not sure about rivers with it tho’ and side winds could be a problem. There was a detachable side bracket which could take a small outboard but we never used it.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I love to sail yachts in the Greek islands. I have sailed flotilla and bare boat. It is very relaxing. I havnt been the last few years due to changes in circumstances, but hope to be back sometime.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Another vote for GRP. Wooden boats are lovely but the maintenance is a major headache. A friend has a beautiful clinker built Folkboat, varnished throughout with top of the range epoxy. It costs an absolute fortune every year, but he knew that when he got it built in the Baltic and he is quite prepared to pay. I wouldn't be, but I'm not a City lawyer.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I used to have the use of a Canadian 18 ft wooden canoe called Susquehanna ( not sure of the spelling now) which we used on Loch Lomond. We being wife and 2 children. It was really good but you had to learn how to paddle it on one side only which needs a twisting stroke to keep on a straight line. Not sure about rivers with it tho’ and side winds could be a problem. There was a detachable side bracket which could take a small outboard but we never used it.
Further to the bit about canoes. Last summer [or mebbe the one before] I was over at Kilchoan on Ardnamurchan and met a couple of blokes with Canadian type canoes who did a lot of open sea cruising with them. At that time they were doing a circuit of Mull I seem to remember. I think you would have to be very experienced to do this sort of thing. I have seen some pretty rough seas at the entrance to Loch Sunart for example caused by tidal conditions and doubt that an open boat of that type and size could survive.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Susquehanna is a place on Vancouver Island, I seem to remember from walking the West Coast Trail.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Susquehanna is a place on Vancouver Island, I seem to remember from walking the West Coast Trail.
The canoe in fact belonged to my managing director who was American and had it shipped over to Scotland from the USA. He never used it and allowed me free use of it. He was a bootlegger of the old school as quite a few of the Scotch distillers of that time were.

Top Bottom