Any Brompton experts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks - was coming to that conclusion myself.

It seems a 6 speed with the smaller (44T?) chainwheel would give an almost identical range to my Fuji on the middle ring, which I find perfect for daily use. Looks like I'm after a later M/S 6 L/R or a "C-Line Explore", which seem to start where you suggest or a bit more.. the current version of the latter retailing for about £1.5k new.

I paid £950 for my C Line Explore with Brooks Cambium, not the cheapest out there probably but it’s not black (many for sale cheaper were) and the very lovely previous owner had it serviced by a Brompton dealer at a cost of about £110 for labour and parts, important peace of mind for me. I had been watching a 10 year M6 on eBay before that which ended up going for around £850!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I’m getting used to the gearing, I struggled at first, but it’s ok now I’ve adjusted my riding style for this bike.

I’ve used my bike all through the winter, it’s all about clothes and manning TFU for me.

Thanks and yes, I can appreciate how it would take some getting used to. Surprises me a little that they've taken this route when they could conceivably (to my limited knowledge) widened the rear axle spacing a bit and gone with something like an 8-speed Shimano hub or even a Rohloff; considering the market that these bikes are aimed at.

I see their latest P-line bikes are now using a 4sp Derailleur setup; I wonder if they intend to roll this out over the entire range over time..

I've walked away from the one in the original post. At least 20 years old, there's better buys out there, including the one you linked to. Two hours away, I'll probably leave for now.

Probably wise considering the advice of the more Brompton-savvy forum members.. seems like an old one could certainly be a money pit. Shame about the other one; looks like a good buy.. but the location is probably at least partially responsible for that. Are you after any particular model? Happy to keep an eye out while I'm scouring the internet for myself.. ;)

To operate the 6 speed gears sequentially the algorithm is that you change the two-position left shifter first, just move it from where it is to the other position. If that change is in the direction you wanted to go (up or down) then job done. If not, and you have just moved the left shifter the wrong way then now move the right shifter in the correct direction (up or down).

Sounds complicated but it isn't really. Just change with your left hand first, and then if necessary with the right too.

Thanks - I can see how that would work, but it still seems a bit "quirky".. that sounds like the best method if you can't remember which gear you're in :tongue:

I guess / hope it just takes a bit of getting used to.

I paid £950 for my C Line Explore with Brooks Cambium, not the cheapest out there probably but it’s not black (many for sale cheaper were) and the very lovely previous owner had it serviced by a Brompton dealer at a cost of about £110 for labour and parts, important peace of mind for me. I had been watching a 10 year M6 on eBay before that which ended up going for around £850!

Cheers - that sounds reasonable and yes, prices do seem to be all over the place.. I suspect partially because there are such a range of different models / ages available and it takes a fair bit of work to get a decent grasp of what's worth having.

I did see what looks like a really nice orange "black edition" M6L for £700, which tbh I'd probably be very tempted by... were it not in Scotland :sad:

As usual it seems ebay is more expensive than everywhere else and the better-priced items are found on alternative sites; scammers and scumbags notwithstanding.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers - that sounds reasonable and yes, prices do seem to be all over the place.. I suspect partially because there are such a range of different models / ages available and it takes a fair bit of work to get a decent grasp of what's worth having.

I did see what looks like a really nice orange "black edition" M6L for £700, which tbh I'd probably be very tempted by... were it not in Scotland :sad:

As usual it seems ebay is more expensive than everywhere else and the better-priced items are found on alternative sites; scammers and scumbags notwithstanding.

The one I bought was around 15 months old I think (I have the receipt somewhere, but think was late 2021/early 2022).

There's an active buy and sell Brompton forum on Facebook which seems legit (mine was on Gumtree in posh Weybridge)

wafter

The one I bought was around 15 months old I think (I have the receipt somewhere, but think was late 2021/early 2022).

There's an active buy and sell Brompton forum on Facebook which seems legit (mine was on Gumtree in posh Weybridge)

Sounds like a score for something that would have been the fat end of £1500 a year or so ago :smile:

Thanks for the heads-up re. Facebook; I'll take a look!

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like a score for something that would have been the fat end of £1500 a year or so ago :smile:

Thanks for the heads-up re. Facebook; I'll take a look!

Yep, £1495, at end Oct 2021.
I think it might be a closed group but easy enough to join

Last edited:

wafter

One good thing about only having 6 gears is you can easily remember which one you're in.

I only have five fingers on each hand and need at least one hand to hang on with!

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I love my Brompton I also spent some time looking into the second hand market and have been monitoring it since and there are very few bargains really.

I've just gone over 3000km recorded on the Garmin on mine in the last 20 months l, I do lots of little trips on it too and as other have said if I could only keep one bike it would be it.

The Green Commute Initiative is very small company friendly, as long as they have the cashflow to pay for the bike upfront the paperwork is very very minimal and as a 20% tax payer you would save about £452.80 on the cost of a new C Line Explore. That would take it to around the upper end of the used market.

wafter

I love my Brompton I also spent some time looking into the second hand market and have been monitoring it since and there are very few bargains really.

I've just gone over 3000km recorded on the Garmin on mine in the last 20 months l, I do lots of little trips on it too and as other have said if I could only keep one bike it would be it.

The Green Commute Initiative is very small company friendly, as long as they have the cashflow to pay for the bike upfront the paperwork is very very minimal and as a 20% tax payer you would save about £452.80 on the cost of a new C Line Explore. That would take it to around the upper end of the used market.

Thanks - looked into that but sadly in my position it's still a non-starter. It's great to hear that you and others hold these bikes in high regard as a practical ride, rather than just a compromised one-trick pony for when you have to have a folder.

I hear where you're coming from - unlike many other bikes currently they seem well in demand with a high turnover on the used market. I'm seeing an assortment of old / "project" stuff starting at around £300, decent, relatively recent 6 speeds from maybe £600 typically and nice, recent, high-spec / (sensible) special editions from a grand or a bit north of.

As usual I'm torn; having had several times drummed into me the lesson of "a minter does not a good utlity bike make" I'm cautious of getting a really nice example.. on the other hand, the lacquered black editions look sweet :becool:

lack_edition_black_lacquer_m6l_1579611909_979c9187.jpg

black_lacquer___mid_bar___reflector__side_2_.jpg

Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
Thanks - looked into that but sadly in my position it's still a non-starter. It's great to hear that you and others hold these bikes in high regard as a practical ride, rather than just a compromised one-trick pony for when you have to have a folder.

I hear where you're coming from - unlike many other bikes currently they seem well in demand with a high turnover on the used market. I'm seeing an assortment of old / "project" stuff starting at around £300, decent, relatively recent 6 speeds from maybe £600 typically and nice, recent, high-spec / (sensible) special editions from a grand or a bit north of.

As usual I'm torn; having had several times drummed into me the lesson of "a minter does not a good utlity bike make" I'm cautious of getting a really nice example.. on the other hand, the lacquered black editions look sweet :becool:

View attachment 693348

That's what I bought. I spent about $200 extra for the sweet paint job and although I can't really justify the expense, I love it.
Having said that, the fold was the critical feature for me. Not everyone has the same priorities, though.

wafter

Yes, that’s why I bought one, just try and stop me!

seriously, can’t think of anything worse

Nice to have some camararderie, but yeah - the social scene isn't really on my list of must-haves when buying a bike..

wafter

That's what I bought. I spent about $200 extra for the sweet paint job and although I can't really justify the expense, I love it.
Having said that, the fold was the critical feature for me. Not everyone has the same priorities, though.

Thanks - that exact model? I've read the lacquer finish might be less hardwearing / more corrosion-prone than the other finishes, but it certainly looks fanastic. You obviously love yours - how have your experiences of the finish been in practical terms?

Top Bottom