Any Brompton experts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
I would take it out for a ride and see if it suits you. It's the short wheelbase version and I think £500 is pushing it given its age.

u_i

Über Member
I've actively investigated two Bromptons today; one that turns out, I think to have been an S6L Black Edition in Orange; suspiciously-cheap and ultimately 95% likely a scam. :smile:

Could it be from the series discussed on the German forum where you checked the @berlinonaut's summary?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Could it be from the series discussed on the German forum where you checked the @berlinonaut's summary?

No, just some random scumbag allegedly in Somerset. Was a reasonably convincing ad, price and subsequent comms notwithstanding. It's been pulled now but I'll keep an eye on it and post details on here if it appears again.

Currently erring towards maybe spending a bit more money on something more modern; can anyone tell me more about the long / short wheelbase thing please - differences, dates etc..?

EDIT: Info on the SWB/LWB thing.. apparently they got longer in 2004 and presumably the longer ones are a bit more stable..

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
One thing to watch is that some part replacements on older Bromptons can snowball due to obsolescence. New BB means new crankset (officially, anyway). New brake cables mean new closed clevis brake levers (on 2 and 6 speeders this can also mean new shifters and shift cables).

wafter

Buy the newest one you can find @wafter

About £650 will buy a good useable example

Thanks - was coming to that conclusion myself.

It seems a 6 speed with the smaller (44T?) chainwheel would give an almost identical range to my Fuji on the middle ring, which I find perfect for daily use. Looks like I'm after a later M/S 6 L/R or a "C-Line Explore", which seem to start where you suggest or a bit more.. the current version of the latter retailing for about £1.5k new.

Still learning so am no falling over myself to get anything bought, plus I don't want to overshoot and spend a good wedge on something I might not use a lot just because I've been sucked into simply wanting one.. the idea so far having transformed from something cheap to keep in the back of the car for occasional use, to a potential commuting alternative bolstered by my growing appreciation for the bikes in general.

Under ideal conditions the bus / bike commute would still take around 1.5hrs, and of course would only appeal when the weather was good.. a big chunk of the summer seeing the kids responsible for my morning purgatory being on holiday..

wafter

@Proto - not sure how far this M6L for £540 is from you, but it looks like a good buy on the surface!

86.jpg

Would be all over it myself were it not hundreds of miles away..

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thanks - was coming to that conclusion myself.

It seems a 6 speed with the smaller (44T?) chainwheel would give an almost identical range to my Fuji on the middle ring, which I find perfect for daily use. Looks like I'm after a later M/S 6 L/R or a "C-Line Explore", which seem to start where you suggest or a bit more.. the current version of the latter retailing for about £1.5k new.

Still learning so am no falling over myself to get anything bought, plus I don't want to overshoot and spend a good wedge on something I might not use a lot just because I've been sucked into simply wanting one.. the idea so far having transformed from something cheap to keep in the back of the car for occasional use, to a potential commuting alternative bolstered by my growing appreciation for the bikes in general.

Under ideal conditions the bus / bike commute would still take around 1.5hrs, and of course would only appeal when the weather was good.. a big chunk of the summer seeing the kids responsible for my morning purgatory being on holiday..

I (obviously) don’t know what tax rate you are, but you can get a brand spanking, out the box shiny new C Line for 850ish on a CTWS. (Once the dark overlords release it to you.)

I had mine less than a year, done about 800 miles on it, currently it’s packed in baggage awaiting a flight bak to Blighty, after a lovely tour along the Danube.

I have six bikes, if I was only allowed to keep one, I’d keep the Brompton, it is without a single shadow of a doubt a most versatile bike, and a hoot to ride.
IMG_3357.jpeg

wafter

I (obviously) don’t know what tax rate you are, but you can get a brand spanking, out the box shiny new C Line for 850ish on a CTWS. (Once the dark overlords release it to you.)

I had mine less than a year, done about 800 miles on it, currently it’s packed in baggage awaiting a flight bak to Blighty, after a lovely tour along the Danube.

I have six bikes, if I was only allowed to keep one, I’d keep the Brompton, it is without a single shadow of a doubt a most versatile bike, and a hoot to ride.
View attachment 692441

Thanks for the thought - I assume that £850 figure is based on 40% taxation? Unfortunately I earn sod all and work for a very small company so it's a non-starter, but appreciate the suggestion :smile:

It's reassuring to hear that you hold yours in such high regard. I've never really paid them much attention, however as I try to broaden my cycling horizons and the commute becomes ever-more painful they seem increasingly appealing. I can think of a growing number of possible situations to sell the idea to myself - possible bus/bike commute to work, getting to / from work when I've left the car at the garage for work, getting around London for work if I take the train since unsurprisingly driving in the city has me reaching for the razor blades..

I also like the idea of using one for foreign travel with other modes of transport as you've shown - looks like a fantastic trip and potentially less daunting than cycling there, while probably more enjoyable than hiring a bike on arrival.

Is yours the three or six speed? I think I spy two shifters!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thanks for the thought - I assume that £850 figure is based on 40% taxation? Unfortunately I earn sod all and work for a very small company so it's a non-starter, but appreciate the suggestion :smile:

It's reassuring to hear that you hold yours in such high regard. I've never really paid them much attention, however as I try to broaden my cycling horizons and the commute becomes ever-more painful they seem increasingly appealing. I can think of a growing number of possible situations to sell the idea to myself - possible bus/bike commute to work, getting to / from work when I've left the car at the garage for work, getting around London for work if I take the train since unsurprisingly driving in the city has me reaching for the razor blades..

I also like the idea of using one for foreign travel with other modes of transport as you've shown - looks like a fantastic trip and potentially less daunting than cycling there, while probably more enjoyable than hiring a bike on arrival.

Is yours the three or six speed? I think I spy two shifters!

It’s the six speed.

I’m of an age where I only work part time, but I have to commute from near Didcot to Reading once or twice a week. Getting the through the last 3.5 miles of Reading can take longer than getting from home to Tilehurst. Depending on my mood, I can ride to Didcot Parkway get the train to work for about £4.50 with an old farts pass, but usually I keep the B in the car, drive to Tilehurst, and cycle the last 3.5 miles. It’s almost the perfect commute, and I get to feel self righteous with my colleagues as fold my B up out of the way. 😇. All but one of the 20 colleagues drive less than 5 miles to the office.

wafter

It’s the six speed.

I’m of an age where I only work part time, but I have to commute from near Didcot to Reading once or twice a week. Getting the through the last 3.5 miles of Reading can take longer than getting from home to Tilehurst. Depending on my mood, I can ride to Didcot Parkway get the train to work for about £4.50 with an old farts pass, but usually I keep the B in the car, drive to Tilehurst, and cycle the last 3.5 miles. It’s almost the perfect commute, and I get to feel self righteous with my colleagues as fold my B up out of the way. 😇. All but one of the 20 colleagues drive less than 5 miles to the office.

Thanks - how do you find the gearing with the combination of hub and derailleur? I believe to get the best spacing between shifts you sometimes have to operate both at the same time..?

That sounds unsurprisingly like my commute.. I'm about 20 miles outside Oxford and the hell begins at the ring road. I could conceivably drive to just outside, dump the car somewhere residential and cycle the rest of the way. It's apparently just under 8 miles from Yarnton to my place of work along the tow path, so maybe 20 mins to Yarnton in the car and 40 mins on the bike.. I also like the idea of just having a folder in the car for emergencies - for example if I absolutely lose me sh*t in traffic it potentially gives me an alternative escape route, providing I can dump the car somewhere rather than just leaving it in the middle of the road, on fire..

Of course this is probably all a bit late now as by the time I've found one it'll probably the summer holidays (so commute less painful) then winter (so riding along the tow path in the freezing cold less appealing!). That said, it's been a real eye- opener how much better my mental health has been this week thanks to a stress-free commute, so I don't want to under-estimate the importance of finding a workable alternative..

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’m getting used to the gearing, I struggled at first, but it’s ok now I’ve adjusted my riding style for this bike.

I’ve used my bike all through the winter, it’s all about clothes and manning TFU for me.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
@Proto - not sure how far this M6L for £540 is from you, but it looks like a good buy on the surface!

View attachment 692439

Would be all over it myself were it not hundreds of miles away..

I've walked away from the one in the original post. At least 20 years old, there's better buys out there, including the one you linked to. Two hours away, I'll probably leave for now.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thanks - how do you find the gearing with the combination of hub and derailleur? I believe to get the best spacing between shifts you sometimes have to operate both at the same time..?

That sounds unsurprisingly like my commute.. I'm about 20 miles outside Oxford and the hell begins at the ring road. I could conceivably drive to just outside, dump the car somewhere residential and cycle the rest of the way. It's apparently just under 8 miles from Yarnton to my place of work along the tow path, so maybe 20 mins to Yarnton in the car and 40 mins on the bike.. I also like the idea of just having a folder in the car for emergencies - for example if I absolutely lose me sh*t in traffic it potentially gives me an alternative escape route, providing I can dump the car somewhere rather than just leaving it in the middle of the road, on fire..

Of course this is probably all a bit late now as by the time I've found one it'll probably the summer holidays (so commute less painful) then winter (so riding along the tow path in the freezing cold less appealing!). That said, it's been a real eye- opener how much better my mental health has been this week thanks to a stress-free commute, so I don't want to under-estimate the importance of finding a workable alternative..

I’m getting used to the gearing, I struggled at first, but it’s ok now I’ve adjusted my riding style for this bike.

I’ve used my bike all through the winter, it’s all about clothes and manning TFU for me

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
To operate the 6 speed gears sequentially the algorithm is that you change the two-position left shifter first, just move it from where it is to the other position. If that change is in the direction you wanted to go (up or down) then job done. If not, and you have just moved the left shifter the wrong way then now move the right shifter in the correct direction (up or down).

Sounds complicated but it isn't really. Just change with your left hand first, and then if necessary with the right too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom