Any Brompton experts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Im very tempted by this Brompton which is for sale near me. I’ve not seen it yet, probably going on Wednesday. Appears to be 4 (or 5?) speed. Looks very tidy, almost unused even, but I suspect it’s fairly aged, if that matters? Anyone able to identify the model/year etc for me?

IMG_0307.jpeg

IMG_0308.jpeg

Last edited:

gom

Über Member
The shifter is for the 5-speed SA Sprinter hub - a bit of glare over the "5", but it looks identical to mine.
The 5-speed hub ended in early 2000s (I forget exactly when), but could be years older. If you get to see it, the year should be stamped on the hub.

When sold it would have been the "L5" model. "5" for 5-speed. And "L" for lightweight? I have a 1999 "T5", "T" for touring as it had a rack and (bottle) dynamo.

I think it has the dual-pivot brakes, which are much better than the ones that came with mine (I replaced them as soon as the new ones became available). I recognise thoe levers, but I've now replaced them as well.

Going by the 5-speed SA Sprinter gears, that's a M5 - dating it from somewhen between 1994 and early 2001. The SA hub, as @gom mentions above, will have a date stamp on it.

Dual pivot brakes and a folding pedal imply it's either quite late in that timespan or it's been upgraded - in either case it looks well look-after.

If you can get the frame number I can be more precise about the bike's age, but they run from 11000 (Jan '94) to 166499 (Feb '01) so it's quite a range to type out and the quantities accelerate through that period!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Does anyone know of a resource that summarises all the models / changes over the years? Seems like a bloody mindfield tbh..

gom

Über Member
Does anyone know of a resource that summarises all the models / changes over the years? Seems like a bloody mindfield tbh..

David Henshaw's book:
https://www.atob.org.uk/product/brompton-bicycle-2017/
A mine of information, and a great read for Brompton lovers.

Last edited:

wafter

David Henshaw's book:
https://www.atob.org.uk/product/brompton-bicycle-2017/
A mine of information, and a great read for Brompton lovers.
Thanks - not an owner / lover yet however - just looking to fortify myself with some knowledge in case I find one at a decent price..

Cheers - that looks like a great overview!

Translated link, for anyone else interested :smile:

Gunk

Guru
Last edited:

wafter

Thanks, this was until now 10 years of work, digging for bits of information in old catalogues, forums, magazines, pictures etc. and still not complete/comprehensive.

Nice work - didn't realise it was yours :smile:

That's provided me with a great, broad-strokes idea of what to expect from bikes of various ages.. However, from my perspective of someone who knows next to sod all about these bikes and is seeking to identify what one might be that's for sale, the information might be more useful laid out in the form of a Gantt chart - with a row for each feature that's changed over time - i.e. gearing range, hub type, gear shifters, brake caliper type and format, model designations etc..

Just a thought; regardless I really appreciate the insight and I think it's helped me age one or two I've looked at :smile:

This week I've been reminded of how un-homicidal/suicidal life can be, as the commute has been blissfully concise and stress-free.. at first I wondered if I was actually dead; trapped in some Jacob's ladder-esque purgatory having been involved in some horrific, rage-fuelled rush hour smash. Turns out it's the school holidays so no need for mummy to take little Tarquel to school in the Range Rover; doubling my journey time and decimating my will to live in the process :rolleyes:

Anyway, I digress.. but my point was how much nicer life can be when not poisoned by the hateful and exhausting commute.. and by extension how my life could be enriched by alternatives (such as catching the bus and doing the last leg on a folder).

I've actively investigated two Bromptons today; one that turns out, I think to have been an S6L Black Edition in Orange; suspiciously-cheap and ultimately 95% likely a scam. The second was a much older three-speed job, with the giveaway old-school Sturmey Archer shifter (dating it to pre-2000 going by @berlinaut's excellent resource!) for not a huge amount of money. That said it wasn't without its faults and my own thoughts echoed @Gunk's above - that I could potentially buy something significantly newer that needed no work by the time I'd got an old beater right.

I'm torn on this generally - I love the underdog, appreciate a good project, am tight as fook and have learned that minters do not a good utility bike make. On the other hand given the minefield of pricing, seemingly significant improvements of later bikes, cost of parts / upgrade and low depreciation I wonder whether I wouldn't be better off just chucking the fat end of a grand at a recent, higher-end model that wants for nowt...

Either way knowing more about these bikes can only aid either outcome and as usual I appreciate the knowledge of the good folks of CC and threads on such things (apologies for the hijack!) to guide me towards a decent conclusion :smile:

Top Bottom