Any BT Customers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Don't think he says much wrong.

400bhp

Guru
Don't think he says much wrong.

He kind of doesn't, but then he shows his true colours in the last para:

Cyclists routinely claim they aren't shown enough respect by motorists. Here's the thing - you need to earn that respect. Flagrantly ignoring the basics and leaving common sense at home won't get you what you think you deserve. Everyone needs to play their part to ensure the roads are safe. It’s blindingly clear some need to do so more than others.

Thinking we're a breed or something.

I cannot control other people, be that on bikes or in a car.:rolleyes:

Mile195

Veteran
I also agree with the crux of the article. There's no excuse not to have lights. Even the pound shop sell them. They might not be much good but they're better than nothing. The pound shop also sell batteries, which is something that I see many cyclists who do have lights, could do to replace.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It is an article written to provoke a response. Must be a slow news day in the BT Motoring dept.
(Notice that he mentions poorly lit cars in passing to justify his position)

But, in general, it's quite obvious that cyclists should use lights!

Tyke

Think that`s more than fair as cyclists we blame drivers for most things but we should at least give them a chance to see us.

Most of us are probably drivers as well. If any of you hit an unlit cyclist who are you going to blame.

OP
OP
snorri

snorri

Legendary Member
He calls himself a "Senior Motoring Writer", so instead of calling on cyclists to earn respect he should be appealing to his own audience, ie motorists, to earn respect of other road users. The article is little more than a rallying call for his tribe to gang up on a minority group and to see themselves as the good guys on the road. If he wants to lecture to cyclists why has he not contributed to a cycling publication?
None of the examples he quotes are likely to result in the death of another party anyway. Is cycling on a pavement really more likely to kill than opening a car door in front of a cyclist? Are cars with defective lights any more likely to be stopped by police than cyclists? I don't think so, but that's not what the writer says. He even talks about road tax:rolleyes:
I just think it's lazy journalism designed to cause friction among road user groups rather than improve road safety or encourage all cyclists to become law abiding citizens

stowie

Legendary Member
I struggle to understand what there is to agree with article. It runs through the standard crap cliches about cyclists as well as being plain wrong in places.

The part about earning respect really made me angry. I don't need to earn respect in order for drivers not to put my life in danger. It is a load of crap used to justify sloppy, dangerous and anti-social behavior by drivers. How entitled does this author feel about the road?

binsted

Some of my BT subscription must have been used to pay for that drivel. I guess as he is a motoring correspondent he is not going to alienate his readers and what better way than to jump on the bandwagon.

Oh yes, wouldn't surprise me if he lived in Surrey................:smile:

Top Bottom