Any car satnav update experts ?? A price question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Does the car have Android Auto or Apple Car Play? If so he can run a satnav app on his phone and display it on the screen in the dashboard just like built in satnav.

If not I'd go for the cheaper option after checking reviews. The main dealer prices seem unjustifiably high.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think unless you are technically savvy he would have to pay much more to have it updated.

As for other Sat navs. I had a Tom Tom with free map updates for the lifetime of the unit. However that didn't take into account that they can and do discontinue the unit so after so many years, you can no longer update them and they then contact you to tell you the good news that you have to buy a new Sat nav at a cost of XXX. Grrrr.

I refused and now use Waze, an ap on my phone and it costs nothing.

Drago

Legendary Member
As an utter irrelevance, albeit kinda related, Mrs D's car updates itself via the internet, either via it's own built in 4G link, or by latching on to the home WiFi. The days of paying, or even visiting, the dealer for software updates of any kind are long gone for her.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As an utter irrelevance, albeit kinda related, Mrs D's car updates itself via the internet, either via it's own built in 4G link, or by latching on to the home WiFi. The days of paying, or even visiting, the dealer for software updates of any kind are long gone for her.
I'd bloody expect so for the cost of the car.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Android Auto is probably the way forward, and Apple's offering. Works far better than the in house software. Google mapping is vastly better with live traffic routing. Before lockdown I was using it getting to work as one of the major routes had road works on. It was excellent.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A large number of the updates sold by third parties are counterfeit pirate copies as almost all manufacturers have nailed the distribution down very tightly. I am not saying they don't work, but they are certainly on the dodgy end of the scale. If you are going to go down the dodgy route, then you might as well just pay £20 on eBay as at least you have some comeback and if you want to you can copy the data and then report the product you bought as counterfeit and get your money back :evil:.

The official updates help pay my salary, so I would encourage you to buy them, but I fully understand why people don't when the mark up the automotive companies add is ridiculous (about 10 times what they pay).

byegad

Legendary Member
I had the map on my Yaris updated last year at its first service free charge. I mentioned it when I took it in and our newbuild house was on it when I drove home, which it wasn't before. The charge was the quoted price for a first service.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
77 grand and the mats weren't standard!
I worked as a Volvo salesman, just for 6 hellish months, early 80s. We, honestly, earned nearly as much commission if we sold a set of mats than we got for selling the car.
If me managed to fleece persuaded them to have finance we could get 400% more for that. Just 1/4 or 1/2 % made a staggering difference

Top Bottom