Any car satnav update experts ?? A price question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
It wasn't so bad for me - my Dad paid for the car (he thinks the sun shines from Mrs D MkII's behind, he detested MkI) leaving me to pay for the mats, flaps, dog guard and locking wheel nuts. That little lot still relieved me of almost £600 though!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It wasn't so bad for me - my Dad paid for the car (he thinks the sun shines from Mrs D MkII's behind, he detested MkI) leaving me to pay for the mats, flaps, dog guard and locking wheel nuts. That little lot still relieved me of almost £600 though!
I hope my MrsD doesnt read this....I tell her the sun shines out of her backside^_^

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
A large number of the updates sold by third parties are counterfeit pirate copies as almost all manufacturers have nailed the distribution down very tightly. I am not saying they don't work, but they are certainly on the dodgy end of the scale. If you are going to go down the dodgy route, then you might as well just pay £20 on eBay as at least you have some comeback and if you want to you can copy the data and then report the product you bought as counterfeit and get your money back :evil:.

The official updates help pay my salary, so I would encourage you to buy them, but I fully understand why people don't when the mark up the automotive companies add is ridiculous (about 10 times what they pay).
A lot of good points there Milkfloat, thanks. I have passed the main points on.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Android Auto is probably the way forward, and Apple's offering. Works far better than the in house software. Google mapping is vastly better with live traffic routing. Before lockdown I was using it getting to work as one of the major routes had road works on. It was excellent.

I agree. My car has built in sat nav (TomTom) which I rarely use as Google Maps through Android Auto is better (in my opinion) and uses a negligible amount of data.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I update my Volvo myself for 30 sheets. It was a ball ache and took 5 hours, but cost about a tenth of what Volvo wanted. So, I'd say to your Brother use the cheap option.

Volvo twat nav is lovely to use, although the Fraulein Helga's voice is a little matriarchal and rather scary - I use the male voice that sounds like J.A.R.V.I.S.
Just apropos of Volvos and satnav. Bells in N'ton talk sense in price terms I have literally just found out :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

locking wheel nuts.
Do people still steal alloys these days, each time I buy a car one of the first things I do is buy 4 new studs, nuts & throw the locking ones over my shoulder, fudging nightmare trying to change a wheel in the dark & rain where you're frightening to break the damn things.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Do people still steal alloys these days, each time I buy a car one of the first things I do is buy 4 new studs, nuts & throw the locking ones over my shoulder, fudging nightmare trying to change a wheel in the dark & rain where you're frightening to break the damn things.

It still happens, but nowhere near as much as it used to back in the day.

I'd not pay cash for an upgrade on maps. Maybe it's my area but I can't think of many new roads around here ?

And Google maps are excellent. You can download your area map over the WiFi at home to your phone so it's always there. You won't need a signal when out. I do that on the bike so when I'm really lost I can check where the hell I am.

Just treated myself to a Garmin though so might not be as lost as I once was.

Well if Garmin connect ever works again.

Hi Roger - yes it's me. Glad you were sorted out ok. I've luckily not had to use him but friends and family have.
It's nice here isn't it ?

Ah I must have just had a tailwind that day.

Strangely tomorrow's ride was going through three different Burtons - but can't get the route over to the Garmin now the site is down. Next week maybe. 👍

Top Bottom