Any classical music fans on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lutonloony

Über Member
I can't listen to it: too much of easy-listening excerpts; little that's remotely challenging or interesting.
But maybe it gets people interested in classical, if they stumble across it? For me I don't like "challenging" I just like a nice tune. Probably makes me a phillistine, but hey ho

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm a Richard Wagner fan....so not quite epic enough for me.
There's more emotion and intensity in the 20 minutes of The Curlew - just six instrumentalists and one singer - than there is in all 19 hours of the Ring.

srw

But maybe it gets people interested in classical, if they stumble across it?
All sorts of things do that, from adverts to film music to telephone hold music. Yes, it can occasionally require a little bit of attention, but that's no bad thing. Anyone who can sit through Honneger or Wagner without dying of boredom deserves a medal as far as I'm concerned.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
All sorts of things do that, from adverts to film music to telephone hold music. Yes, it can occasionally require a little bit of attention, but that's no bad thing. Anyone who can sit through Honneger or Wagner without dying of boredom deserves a medal as far as I'm concerned.

I'll.grant you wagner but Honnagar boring ? A bit modern to some tastes, a bit dissonant even, I could understand if disagree, but boring, that's just silly

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I don't listen to much classical, but I'm a great fan of Russian composers - especially ballet

There - I've said it

I don't care who knows it.

Julia9054

Guru
My kids are both music students and they both love Russian composers. Their tastes are much more modern than mine and whilst they grew up listening to the sort of classical music I like (Baroque and early music), they now introduce me to all sorts of music I would not search out for myself and are, obviously, a lot more knowledgeable than me. My eldest is a trumpet player and my youngest's eventual ambition is to conduct orchestras.
We are off to that there London tomorrow to go and see a couple of proms.

Old jon

Guru
Wow! A wonderful, diverse set of listening preferences. A lot of classical music is a little complex for my ancient ears to decipher easily. I happily listen to all sorts, though, with a bias towards what is often described as post Baroque by musician friends. An imprecise term, which does not diminish my enjoyment of the music.

TVC

My classical music tastes are rooted firmly in the 21st century, there is some really intersting work being done, here are both A Winged Victory for the Sullen and Nils Frahm. The former featuring my very favourite violinist Meg, and the latter being entirely self taught.

Alice Sara Ott and Olafur Arnalds also get the hairs on my neck stiffening, here together from a Chopin inspired collaboration.

View: https://youtu.be/2URq2PGQQ4Y

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Wow! A wonderful, diverse set of listening preferences.
Exactly so. Tastes in food, beer, music and art are subjective which creates a wide diversity of choice.
There's absolutely no need or any sensible reason to denigrate anybody else's choices.
I like Sibelius but not early 20th century English songs - so what? Vive la difference.

srw

I'll.grant you wagner but Honnagar boring ? A bit modern to some tastes, a bit dissonant even, I could understand if disagree, but boring, that's just silly
Not really - if you don't like something, eventually it becomes dull. I could try and analyse exactly why I don't like it, but that would be, well, a bit dull for most people. I think football is also incredibly tedious.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's lots of interesting Warlock stuff posted above, thanks. I'm home alone tonight so will catch up on it.

Alexander Glazunov fans should go and listen to the Song of the Singer of Psalms from Tsar Ludeyskiy. The most stirring and thrilling piece of big Russian choir music I've heard for years. By way of a taster, it's the last piece on here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glazunov-King-Salomé-Alexander-Konstantinovich/dp/B00004TD55

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Not sure if it counts as Classical - But I'm a great fan of John Barry

I went to see the film - The Black Hole several times - just for the music (I though the film was dreadful - even at the age of 12)

I even bought the soundtrack on cassette from Woolworths :laugh:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not sure if it counts as Classical - But I'm a great fan of John Barry

I went to see the film - The Black Hole several times - just for the music (I though the film was dreadful - even at the age of 12)

I even bought the soundtrack on cassette from Woolworths :laugh:
I bought this when it came out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tun029Pz-tQ

I wonder if this is classical music?;)

Top Bottom