Any coffee/espresso nerds on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks Fabbers I am now the satisfied owner of a Porlex tall , birthday present from Mrs JK.
Oh! Fab, enjoy :-).
And happy Birthday ... Mrs JK is a keeper!

My Porlex and Aeropress is ready to go in the Campervan for April the 12th :-)

Last edited:
I’ve been a espresso fan for many years now since my Italian customers converted me.
Years ago I bought a proper grinder with a view to getting a real espresso machine...but never got round to it...
I survived on a Mokka pot, Nespresso and and an Aeropress. All make a fine coffee, but neither a proper espresso with a good crema and the theatre of the barista....

But now thanks to the ever loving @Hill Wimp I/we are soon to be in cofvevfe heaven....just as soon as I get the hang of this beauty!

View attachment 572955

View attachment 572956

So if there are any coffee geeks out there with experience to share, am all ears :-)
Mondrian going on there on the mug warmer.

So we bit the bullet and ordered a Sage Barista Pro that should arrive on Tuesday, i blame FF for being some serious notes lighter this week:laugh: actually i thought £445 wasn't too bad in the end.

Cleared some space and created a coffee corner this morning and was pleasantly surprised to hear No 2 asking when it will arrive and starting to get quite interested in it all.

Now to find a nice coffee bean brand and type, i suppose that can be quite a task as there's just so many out there.....

MntnMan62

Über Member
So we bit the bullet and ordered a Sage Barista Pro that should arrive on Tuesday, i blame FF for being some serious notes lighter this week:laugh: actually i thought £445 wasn't too bad in the end.

Cleared some space and created a coffee corner this morning and was pleasantly surprised to hear No 2 asking when it will arrive and starting to get quite interested in it all.

Now to find a nice coffee bean brand and type, i suppose that can be quite a task as there's just so many out there.....

Congrats on the new acquisition. You'll enjoy the results you get from it. As for finding coffee to buy, you'll find that task quite easy actually, because there are so many options out there. I did a google search of coffee roasters near me and picked one to try. They were a little pricey but I don't drink that much to make a difference. They told me when I bought my first bag that if I brought my own coffee container they would fill it with a full pound and charge me the same price they charge for 12 oz. So I drank the first blend I tried for several months and then wanted to try another blend. They told me they don't carry that one in the store and I would have to order a 12 oz. bag online. I didn't really care to do that so I decided to try another roaster. He sells one pound bags for $3 less than the first roaster. I found a sumatra bean that I really liike and have been buying from them ever since. No science to it. It's really a matter of what your palette likes. Just try as many as you want and you'll find something you can settle on. Or maybe you like variety and can just keep trying different ones. Ahhhhh. Coffeeeeeeeeee................

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

It’s all downhill from here!!!

I read in this thread some time ago that tamping down the ground coffee too hard is not good.

Is this true, as I often do it if I want a slightly stronger cup? What problems does it cause, either in taste or in coffee machine problems?

I am trying to cut down my coffee consumption to once a day, after breakfast, because I have recently developed high blood pressure problems, and coffee does raise blood pressure, even if only for a short while.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I read in this thread some time ago that tamping down the ground coffee too hard is not good.

Is this true, as I often do it if I want a slightly stronger cup? What problems does it cause, either in taste or in coffee machine problems?
I had a search and found my comment as one of two hits, but that was about using a moka pot. Hard tamping a moka basket carries a high risk of burnt coffee (where the basket gets hot enough to burn the grounds before the water has passed through) and a small risk that a clog forms against the exit grille and the pressure release valve opens instead of any coffee being made. If you want stronger coffee from a moka pot, brew it longer.

If you use a lever or something else, follow another guide. :thumbsup:

Kajjal

Guru

The are a lot to choose from currently trying the purest Columbian :wacko:

Make sure you have a suitable supply of cakes and biscuits as well :angel:

Top Bottom