Any coffee/espresso nerds on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
You must take some comfort from the fact that it led a full and productive life, have you decided on the thirty guests for the funeral?

It did @stephec. Very comforting.

Just the service on Saturday. All online, so any well-wishers can attend. PM me for a Zoom code.

Wanged the carcass in the stove this morning, and in a fit of ebullience no doubt brought on by unalloyed grief at this saddest of times, put almost all the steel components in the recycling bin. Saved the handle so we have something to film at the weekend.

Was this rash action related to ParcelPostie bunging a box through my front window around lunchtime? A box which contained a brand new Hario Skerton grinder ordered through yesterday's veil of tears. A fickle creature me - thirty-six years forgotten in the time it takes to type "cheap, reliable ceramic burr grinder" into a search engine.

Early doors today, as dawn lit the wake room and the mourners stirred from knee to knee, I consulted the bodgeonauts who worked on RZCBG, and they agree that three days' official mourning is enough. And that I had to have fresh ground coffee in the interim.

Another chapter opens, while doors swing gently closed elsewhere.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I realize the memories are fresh of your loss, but do you have any plans to replace her with a new one? If so, what one are you thinking about? Life must continue. We mustn't wallow in self pity. The job of grinding will always be there and someone, or something, must do it.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I realize the memories are fresh of your loss, but do you have any plans to replace her with a new one? If so, what one are you thinking about? Life must continue. We mustn't wallow in self pity. The job of grinding will always be there and someone, or something, must do it.

Very apposite @MntnMan62 .

With the bonfire and interment now passed, yesterday found me at the kitchen table with a plain box, out from delivery quarantine (cf. The Porch Shelf).

As a matter of respect, I’ve had only tea these past three mornings, and I am ready to murder someone for a decent glug of that Kenyan peaberry glowering at me from the jar.

The box? A Hario ceramic burr grinder. None of it from a tree or from under a great German hammer press, but nicely made. The burr isn't set accurately and offers some wobble at french press grind settings. For now I'm only drinking dripper Joe. A US YouTube nerd has a fix for the wobble, which I might leave for a winter night...

Cannot imagine it will be with me for three decades. I'll be pushing ninety for it to beat Die Zass, so let's hope the nurse knows a bit about pour-over timing and bean:water ratios.

No sludge at all in the few cups I've had from it so far. Nicer to handle than my old pal, and a glass bowl with a rubber sock to keep it firmly on the deck. The bean to grounds journey is a whole new landscape, and my muscle memory takes me along old paths.

All joking aside, attachment to inanimate objects is an odd feeling. How objects hold memory, become totems, bolt one to the present, get rooted in your life. And how ritual around these things helps shape a day, week, month, lifetime. Many of us bike-lovers do this with our steeds, our favourite socks, our must-carry toolkit or our go-everywhere duck canvas saddlebag. Totems to protect and guide us, make us part of a particular tribe, help define us.

I'm seeing my road to Buddhist freedom from things is pretty much blocked by my addiction to caffeine, randonneuring and the holy grail search for the perfect greenwood carving axe / walling hammer.
Monsoon Malabar time.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Very apposite @MntnMan62 .

All joking aside, attachment to inanimate objects is an odd feeling. How objects hold memory, become totems, bolt one to the present, get rooted in your life. And how ritual around these things helps shape a day, week, month, lifetime. Many of us bike-lovers do this with our steeds, our favourite socks, our must-carry toolkit or our go-everywhere duck canvas saddlebag. Totems to protect and guide us, make us part of a particular tribe, help define us.

I'm seeing my road to Buddhist freedom from things is pretty much blocked by my addiction to caffeine, randonneuring and the holy grail search for the perfect greenwood carving axe / walling hammer.
Monsoon Malabar time.

I know what you mean. I am now very comfortable with my simple Virtuoso grinder, french press and manual milk frother. I would be exceedingly bothered if something were to happen to any of them. Same goes for my bikes. I have a road and mountain. Have had both for about 15 to 20 years. Got them to where I am very happy with them. Same goes for my drums. I have the original drum kit my parents bought me 45 years ago, albeit with significant additions as well as a new recent acquisition of a second kit that I intend to use for gigs when things open up again. There too I am totally fixated on their composition. Add to that my fixation on stuff I take on the road for music. I have my little bag with its many compartments filled with things like charging cords, portable chargers, iPod, portable speakers, etc. If I forget any one item, I miss it. And same goes for my shaving gear. I went off the deep end and have finally worked up a shave den of razors, brushes, lather bowls, soaps, creams, aftershaves, blades, etc. Very particular about what I use to scrape a very sharp blade across my face. All of the above definitely defines me more than I would ever have thought. I'm not unhappy about that though. I have found a certain peace with having acquired this stuff and no longer feeling as though I need to buy more "stuff". But take away any of that stuff and I would be out of sorts. We are strange beings us humans.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I know what you mean. I am now very comfortable with my simple Virtuoso grinder, french press and manual milk frother. I would be exceedingly bothered if something were to happen to any of them. Same goes for my bikes. I have a road and mountain. Have had both for about 15 to 20 years. Got them to where I am very happy with them. Same goes for my drums. I have the original drum kit my parents bought me 45 years ago, albeit with significant additions as well as a new recent acquisition of a second kit that I intend to use for gigs when things open up again. There too I am totally fixated on their composition. Add to that my fixation on stuff I take on the road for music. I have my little bag with its many compartments filled with things like charging cords, portable chargers, iPod, portable speakers, etc. If I forget any one item, I miss it. And same goes for my shaving gear. I went off the deep end and have finally worked up a shave den of razors, brushes, lather bowls, soaps, creams, aftershaves, blades, etc. Very particular about what I use to scrape a very sharp blade across my face. All of the above definitely defines me more than I would ever have thought. I'm not unhappy about that though. I have found a certain peace with having acquired this stuff and no longer feeling as though I need to buy more "stuff". But take away any of that stuff and I would be out of sorts. We are strange beings us humans.
I'm with you there. My needs are very modest, and absolutely non-negotiable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
£295 quids for a mokka pot !

stephec

Legendary Member
After about seven years of top class service my Delongi bean to cup started to make funny noises and flash warning lights, Google hasn't been too helpful so until I get round to having it repaired I've dug out the old Gaggia that it originally replaced.

And now that I have done I'm not sure if I'll bother getting it repaired as the Gaggia produces a better cup, even if it does take slightly more effort, and another plus is that the Gaggia is far easier to keep clean.

IMG_20220612_200949.jpg

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I’ve been a espresso fan for many years now since my Italian customers converted me.
Years ago I bought a proper grinder with a view to getting a real espresso machine...but never got round to it...
I survived on a Mokka pot, Nespresso and and an Aeropress. All make a fine coffee, but neither a proper espresso with a good crema and the theatre of the barista....

But now thanks to the ever loving @Hill Wimp I/we are soon to be in cofvevfe heaven....just as soon as I get the hang of this beauty!

View attachment 572955

View attachment 572956

So if there are any coffee geeks out there with experience to share, am all ears :-)

An ex-girlfriend had a similar machine ... lovely etc, but tbh it was a bit of a pain the bum to use when you just wanted a coffee to take back to bed of a Sunday morn ... I've used Moka pots since 1986, and I'll stick with them :-)

stephec

Legendary Member
Right then fellow nerds can anyone riddle this one please?

I fire up the Gaggia and follow all the instructions as far as -

let it warm up
use the measuring spoon to put the coffee in the holder
tamp
press go

But quite often it comes out watery, then I repeat the same process and I make a perfectly creamy cup, what's going on there then?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
£295 quids for a mokka pot !

To be fair it isn't really a mokka pot but has springs and valves and 9 bar pressure. Potentially it could be very good. And if it actually works as claimed it is likely more reliable than a pumpy electric gadget

Top Bottom