Any coffee/espresso nerds on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Right then fellow nerds can anyone riddle this one please?

I fire up the Gaggia and follow all the instructions as far as -

let it warm up
use the measuring spoon to put the coffee in the holder
tamp
press go

But quite often it comes out watery, then I repeat the same process and I make a perfectly creamy cup, what's going on there then?

It could be your tamp pressure - under-tamping can lead to a weak extraction, and over-tamping reduces the flow and volume extracted. Or the grind is too big?

newts

Veteran
Try running a blind shot through the group head/porta filter to warm everything up fullly, then pull your espresso shot.

stephec

Legendary Member
It could be your tamp pressure - under-tamping can lead to a weak extraction, and over-tamping reduces the flow and volume extracted. Or the grind is too big?

The manual tells you not to tamp too hard to avoid a weak brew, then in the troubleshooting section it tells you that a weak brew is usually caused by not tamping hard enough.

It must be a fine art. ^_^

Tenkaykev

Guru
The manual tells you not to tamp too hard to avoid a weak brew, then in the troubleshooting section it tells you that a weak brew is usually caused by not tamping hard enough.

It must be a fine art. ^_^

I just did a quick search and there’s automatic spring loaded coffee tampers 😮☕️

stephec

Legendary Member
I visited the Gaggia importers today and had a nice chat.

Turns out that Lavazza espresso ground isn't fine enough for a good espresso, I was a bit sceptical but bought some of their own Arabica ground, and some degreasing tablets to clean the baskets.

The difference was quite spectacular, out came a perfectly creamy espresso that was probably the best one I've ever made, I'm still giddy now. 😂

figbat

Slippery scientist
I visited the Gaggia importers today and had a nice chat.

Turns out that Lavazza espresso ground isn't fine enough for a good espresso, I was a bit sceptical but bought some of their own Arabica ground, and some degreasing tablets to clean the baskets.

The difference was quite spectacular, out came a perfectly creamy espresso that was probably the best one I've ever made, I'm still giddy now. 😂

This is one of the many factors that needs to be right for a good one - and this is what I like about making espresso, that it requires skill, judgement, experimentation and a little luck. I have a burr grinder that will turn out almost powder but you need to be careful with tamping a fine ground as you can easily compact it and reduce the flow through it.

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm now in the market for a new tamper.

Has anyone used one of the spring loaded automatic type of things, prices seem to range from £20 to £150, and before I splash the cash I'd like to make sure that it's worth it rather than just getting a basic manual one?

stephec

Legendary Member
The king is dead, long live the king.

Daddy's had an upgrade. 😊

IMG_20230311_122832.jpg

Been trying out a few different beans over past few months, wonder if anyone else concurs? All via my DeLonghi Eletta.

Best - Cafe Direct Mayan Gold and Waitrose No.1 Brazil - both really smooth and just the right strength.
Worst - All the big name outlets, Starbucks, Caffe Nero, Costa Coffee - varying degrees of rubishness but Caffe Nero Classico really awful, bitter with a weird after taste.
I got tired of buying Lavazza Espresso for ever but its better than those 'coffee shop' efforts.

Tenkaykev

Guru
We've settled on Lavazza Qualita Ora as the brew that we both really like, we've tried a range of beans over several months some were dire some were very good. I got a £20 off a £60 spend promotion from ASDA so spent it all on a range of coffee beans. We're down to our last but one 1Kg bag so need to keep an eye out for offers.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
For a while I've been buying brown bear beans off of Amazon but their prices are really beginning to creep up compared to other beans. Our consumption of coffee is quite high so the costs add up. Especially since buying a Melitta Super automatic machine as it is easy to press one button and a decent coffee comes out in a moment...

stephec

Legendary Member
Since my last post I've got a decent grinder so that I can go all coffee snob, I now get my beans from a local independent roasters.

IMG_20231020_171532.jpg

Top Bottom