Any coffee/espresso nerds on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I imagine you need to drink a lot of coffee to justify the outlay......and maybe the faff of preparing and cleaning ??
I have/had** a Tassimo which suits me as I have just one per day and that is a "long" one eg Americano with milk.
**it stopped working:sad:
Got onto Bosch who reckon it could be a dodgy batch of pods but I am not sure.
When you look at the cost of a proper double espresso it's usually at least £2.00, so one a day is over £700 a year, that would buy a decent bean to cup machine.

I have two doubles a day, which is about £3.00 a week in beans, so relatively it's not that expensive.

Drago

Legendary Member
On a related aside, given the choice I have only DeLonghi gear in the kitchen. Kettle, toaster and microwave are all DeLonghi, at great expense but it works better and outlasts practically all else.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
_20210209_080241.JPG

After several duff machines (including a delonghi!) I became a Dual it person. . It'll do pods, ese thingies and proper Ground coffee, depending on the attachment used.
I also have a hand burr grinder. Those spinning blade grinders just smash the beans to pieces but not release the flavour properly IMHO.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've had a dualit toast for years and years. currently using a stove top expresso maker and a dualit milk frother for the morning coffee fix.

used to have a nespresso which clogged up and stopped working.

shouldn't cyclists always opt for a Faema coffee machine, I must confess to getting a little excited seeing one in a cafe sometime ago.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I'm not a nerd but have done what I can at low cost to make 'proper' coffee rather than pod-made. I have a Krupp burr grinder which has proven very effective for the price and a DeLonghi machine of the type below which can turn out a decent enough shot. I don't mind the faff of preparing, making and cleaning and I find the inconsistency a challenge to master - I like that I can affect the result with my process and inputs; grind size, coffee dose, tamping pressure, extraction time etc. Not to mention the quality of the bean itself.
1612858677159.png

I like a dark roast and used to have one in the morning then more during the day as time and whim took me. Unfortunately I started developing regular headaches which appeared to be related to the coffee consumption so I have cut right back and now it only really gets used occasionally.

Dave7

Legendary Member
When you look at the cost of a proper double espresso it's usually at least £2.00, so one a day is over £700 a year, that would buy a decent bean to cup machine.

I have two doubles a day, which is about £3.00 a week in beans, so relatively it's not that expensive.
On holiday I found that a double espresso plus hot milk gave me a lovely coffee.

Drago

Legendary Member
3 a day for me, occasionally less, very rarely more. 2 in the morning, one mid afternoon.

Moderate amounts of coffee are supposed to be good for one, all sorts of beneficial benefits benefitting us coffee drinkers.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
shouldn't cyclists always opt for a Faema coffee machine, I must confess to getting a little excited seeing one in a cafe sometime ago.
Saeco, surely? One of the few pod machines not to generate obscene amounts of plastic waste per cup.

Unfiltered coffee raises cholesterol, so my few home espresso-ish coffees are by a nice Lacor steel moka pot, with the rest made by a Hario v60 filter, and my ECG was amusing so I also drink some decaf.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Being the good accountant that I am, I decided on a pod machine as I only have one coffee per day (albeit a "double pod") so the cheap machine was appealing

Fast forward 6 years and I seem to have spent about £900 on pods in that time. Having said that, Mrs N gets up in the morning and brings me the coffee in bed. Can't see her doing that if she has to grind the beans, clean the machine etc etc. So maybe I won't suggest a machine upgrade just now

Top Bottom