Any coffee/espresso nerds on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Been using a moka pot since 1987 :smile: Well, have had 2 during that time, and a big pot originally from Poland (I was told) which I used if making coffee for say 4 or 5 people. Unfortunately that got damaged in a house move. When I've used friends' Gaggia (or similar) machines, I've found them too much faff, especially if you are on a working day and have stuff to do. Having it plumbed in would decrease the faffage, I guess.

PK99

Legendary Member
Nespresso for us - virtually instant, hassle-free, no cleaning etc etc . a range of different coffee and takes up minimal space.

And very cheap - once you have a machine, replacements come virtually free from Nespresso - either order a load of capsules for big discount or take out a subscription and get a machine for £1!

Every time we order we get next day delivery and Nespresso collect our used capsules for recycling.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
This one's for you:
1612867125913.png

Roberto Visentini once rode for them early in his career. Buon caffè!

si_c

Guru
Coffee from a local roasters, made either with a Stovetop or a drip filter. Filter tends to be first thing in the morning as I can get through 2 large coffees before I have to face my morning meetings. In the office it's an aeropress.

I would get an espresso machine but we don't have a lot of space in the kitchen and I find the cheaper ones tend to have poor temperature control/pressure so don't get the best out of the bean. I also hate the fiddly water tanks, so I'd inevitably have to get one plumbed in.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
...oh bollocks :sad:
Sorry. https://medicalsciences.stackexchange.com/questions/4216/does-unfiltered-coffee-raise-cholesterol

ETA: But it might not be as simple as that, as there are some suggestions that it raises HDL (High Density Lipoprotein aka "good") as well, so it doesn't kick your ratios out much, even if it raises levels. The Mayo Clinic aren't wildly against it. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...expert-answers/coffee-and-health/faq-20058339

All things in moderation, yet again. Being miserable or stressed isn't good for you either, so if it makes you happy...

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stove top Mokka here, then pod machine for quick brews. Never use instant coffee. Would love a proper bean to cup, but space is an issue.

stephec

Legendary Member
View attachment 572990

The handle fell off! :cry: I've only had it 30years. :cry: I don't know, Italian engineering...
It's not a Lancia then. 😂

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Coffee is just about the only thing I drink during the day, other than water. It comes plopping through the door three times a week from pactcoffee.com - probably not the cheapest way to get it, but it's good quality and freshly roasted. It's noticeable that on the odd occasion we don't get to a bag for a week or so it espresses differently than when it's completely fresh. It's also much fresher than anything the supermarket will sell. The plan I've got is a mixture of blends and single origin coffees.

I've got a discount code if anyone wants to try it - use the PM facility to get in touch.

We have a Sage espresso machine bought from John Lewis, and also use a cafetiere fairly regularly. I've used filters sometimes, but it's not quite as effective. The stovetop machine is impressive, but I've always found that it burns the coffee. I also have an aeropress, but it's quite a lot of faff.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
at work we have a built in Neff bean to cup beast of a machine, which is a decent bit of kit. Milk gets warmed in microwave, so not frothy, but saves the faff of washing any milk related bits.

It did stop working recently, but a £140 service visit (incl. a couple of new internal parts) sorted it out. Add in the initial cost, even over few years its still quite expensive per cup:laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah, but Baron Merckx is more associated with Molteni and that doesn't go well with coffee. Cippo did occasionally manage to look cool, despite the low fashion of the mid-90s:
cipo-tirreno620.jpg

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Kajjal

Guru
Now using a Melitta bean to cup machine. It makes coffee from a nice mug down to a tar like espresso you can stand your spoon up in :hyper:

Also bought the most important accessory a big biscuit barrel which is now being stocked up with Caithness shortbread and biscotti :whistle:

Top Bottom