Any company you refuse to use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Barclays Bank, for some minor slight that incurred my displeasure many years ago. If you asked me, I can’t remember what it was that irked me so. Not even for ready money.
You've reminded me...I applied for an American Express card way back when, and got rejected. I wrote a lengthy and reasoned letter (it was that long ago) asking them why, detailing my many (financial) virtues and excellent (financial) track record, and asking how that did not describe, as it looked to me, precisely the kind of customer an organisation like theirs would want to deal with. Got back a brief and dismissive response, offering no explanation but inviting me to re-apply at some time in the future. Responded with a letter which read, in full, 'Me arse I will'.

U

User6179

But Apple support their products for longer than pretty much anybody in the industry?

The most recent update is compatible to phones released back in 2013, the latest android version isn't even compatible with a 6 month old phone unless it's a Google Pixel.

Similary the version before released in 2017, was incompatible with several 2016 Samsung phones. Unsure what mobile tech company you use that has software support for longer than Apple?

I should of been more clear , I don't use Apple because they are overpriced compared with similar/better products and repairs are a fortune, I have added Sony to the list of avoid as they stopped updating my PS3 after a couple of years making a lot of internet sites unreachable.

MountainSide

+1 for Vodafone. I ordered a new SIM, 2 weeks later still not arrived.

"Well, why didn't you say so sooner?", said the arsey lady on the phone.

"Because I've been in hospital following a heart attack, and had other things on my mind than running around after your poxy organisation", replied I.

They were so shocked they allowed me to cancel the contract then and there. Contrast this with Tesco, who are a fraction of the price, and their customer service is first rate.

Tescobank is fantastic too. Great products and friendly and genuinely helpful staff. Not saying their online service hasn't had one or two small problems but it is how they put things right that makes all the difference. (i'm not talking compensation, just taking pride in owning a problem and making sure it is put right) Real human beings that take pride in what they do and don't just repeat "the computer says no, end of".

DRHysted

Guru
BT. Phone line went down contacted them, engineer visited plugged his phone into the master socket and said “problem in the exchange (half a mile away) speak to you later”. 5 minutes later BT phone rang, ‘‘twas the engineer informing me he’d “mended” the phone line by disconnecting the broad band which he couldn’t fix as it wasn’t his department, I’d need to contact BT for a different engineer. One week later after phoning at least once everyday trying to explain why I didn’t have the right lights showing on my router, I threatened to firebome the exchange building. At this point a very poor broadband was restored with a very poor phone line.
This service resumed until the end of the contract when they got shown the door.
But it didn’t end there.
Six months later we got a bailiffs letter stating that they would be visiting next week to collect monies owed or property to pay an outstanding bill from BT. BT had decided to continue charging the broadband after it was cancelled!!

My local kebab shop, simply for bad customer service.

Every company gets it wrong, it’s how it corrects its mistakes that matter.

PK99

Legendary Member
John Lewis.

I'm interested by that one.

In what way were they bad?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I can't complain about SKY - yes their customer service is crap, but what would you rather ?

Poor customer service but very little reason to call
OR
Great customer services, but having to ring them up constantly to sort things out ?

steve292

Veteran
I'm interested by that one.

In what way were they bad?

I bought a Samsung TV, that had a Firmware issue that was known about by both JL and Samsung. I rejected the tv on the grounds that it was not as described , they refused to accept that firmware was part of the package. Took 6 months to get the service team out. Tv was taken away, no temp replacement offered. sad thing was it took the service team 48hrs to get the tv back to me, as it was a well known issue.

steve292

Veteran
I can't complain about SKY - yes their customer service is crap, but what would you rather ?

Poor customer service but very little reason to call
OR
Great customer services, but having to ring them up constantly to sort things out ?

Wait until your router malfunctions and is out of the warranty period. you'll get told that you can't get a replacement without either signing up for an extended period or paying upwards of 50 notes, even if as I was, a customer who had been with them for 4 years. Pretty piss poor for the device which is the cornerstone of the whole service.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Wait until your router malfunctions and is out of the warranty period. you'll get told that you can't get a replacement without either signing up for an extended period or paying upwards of 50 notes even if as I was, a customer who had been with them for 4 years. Pretty piss poor for the device which is the cornerstone of the whole service.

Really ?

I only ever had one router from them, and I have since replaced it with two of my own - the latest being a big netgear one

You only need a password generator to get to connect - easily found on the web

steve292

Veteran
Really ?

I only ever had one router from them, and I have since replaced it with two of my own - the latest being a big netgear one

You only need a password generator to get to connect - easily found on the web

That's a fair shout. My point is that the router is the one of the key components of the system , as it's needed for updates, watch on demand etc.
If your paying good money for a sevice why should you have to replace the hardware yourself? And good luck with the customer service if your having connection problems and using someone else's equipment. I will add that I had phone, tv and the net through Sky.

Top Bottom