Any Dad's on here with teenage daughters who drive......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Any Dads on here with teenage daughters who drive......

............. then tell them to stop texting and using their mobiles whilst driving :rofl:. I saw 7 today. One actually with mobile glued to her ear whilst bombing along at about 70mph on an unclassified road, another in a black Vauxhall Corsa as she drove in rush hour traffic, 3 in black and silver Ford Fiestas, new shape, texting with their phones on the steering wheel and 2 more in Ford Kas one silver one black texting with blackberry in their hands, just like in that road crash short film where the girl driving is texting and drifts into on coming traffic causing a very serious collision.

So Dads (and Mums) if you have a teenage daughter or daughter in their twenties or daughter of any age, who drives such a small car, and loves their mobile so much they can't put it down, or switch them off, then take it off them, either the car or mobile, before they kill some one or their selves.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Not just girl thing Cranks, sons checking the footy latest are just as bad.

Miss B is 17 and nearly ready for her test but I think it will be a while B4 she could fit texting in between brakes/gear/clutch/indicators...... She need a co-pilot to look after the fan, windows radio etc.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
CA, there is a really horrible public safety video out there that shows the terrible consequences of this. I saw the first bit, but just could not see it through to the end. My daughter is nearly sixteen and spends her entire life on her BlackBerry. It just scares the hell out of me.

A braver man than me should post the link, right here, and now. I think it is on YouTube, but I'm not going there, sorry.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Well I didn't see a single bloke using their mobile whilst driving today, not even ChavBoy, WVM or BTM (BuildersTruckMan). It was ALL young (forgive me) bimbo looking girls although 2 were dark haired, the other 5 were, ahem, blond. And they weren't driving slowly ......

Oh tell a lie. I saw a bloke about 40 years old in an old white Vauxhall car van pulled over on a grass verge that traffic had to slow and pull around depending on whether there was any oncoming traffic. He was parked half on half off the road, but definitely parked, using his mobile. He was not driving. Which is where I saw one of the first bimbos using their mobile/blackberry who swerved out to pull around this guy and only avoided a head one with me as I had slowed considerably.

taxing

Someone I knew at uni used to text and drive constantly, I stopped accepting lifts from him because of that and his unfortunate habit of shouting abuse at pedestrians and cyclists from his car. What a twat.

Crankarm said:
............. then tell them to stop texting and using their mobiles whilst driving :rofl:. I saw 7 today. One actually with mobile glued to her ear whilst bombing along at about 70mph on an unclassified road, another in a black Vauxhall Corsa as she drove in rush hour traffic, 3 in black and silver Ford Fiestas, new shape, texting with their phones on the steering wheel and 2 more in Ford Kas one silver one black texting with blackberry in their hands, just like in that road crash short film where the girl driving is texting and drifts into on coming traffic causing a very serious collision.

So Dads (and Mums) if you have a teenage daughter or daughter in their twenties or daughter of any age, who drives such a small car, and loves their mobile so much they can't put it down, or switch them off, then take it off them, either the car or mobile, before they kill some one or their selves.

I think the best thing you can do Crankarm, is to try and assemble a video of all this misuse and abuse. Take it to the appropriate agency and make your case there.
There are a wide range of examples that you write about and also generalise about. Drivers who text while driving are in the wrong, not 'teenage girls' alone.
How do you get the time to 'see' all this stuff, this 'detail' anyway? You can't be paying much attention to your job on the road.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We haven't got there yet .. oldest is 15 and likes her phone but I would hope that years of me saying "There's another idiot on the phone" when we are all in the car would have got through that its not acceptable.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Ive seen that video and yes, its horrific. But the message still isnt getting through to people. I think theres a certain amount of "it wont happen to me" playing a part :/

snakehips

summerdays said:
.......... but I would hope that years of me saying "There's another idiot on the phone" when we are all in the car would have got through that its not acceptable.
This sort of thing does work. My daughters occasionally surprise me by reminding me of things I used to say when they were younger. Things I thought had just gone in one ear and out the other did actually register with them and make an impact.

Snake

My Library

Ste T.

Guru
When I am not commuting by bike , I go by bus and the bus stop I wait at is on a main road. Two years ago I started counting how many people were on mobiles as they drove past, as a way of passing time until the bus arrived. ( yes sad I know )
I would count 100 cars to get a percentage. In the evening rush hour, two years ago it would average 2 or 3%. Lately this has doubled to 6 or 7% , the worst day was 11%. Crankarms observation was my experience also. I would guess 3 times as many women as men are offenders and mostly young girls. Not very scientific, more of a straw pole. The increase maybe something to do with the lack of police to catch them at it.

perplexed

Guru
Hmm, I'd have to agree with the girls and the texting thing. Totally unscientific of course, but I do seem to notice a high proportion of texters being younger female drivers. Men are probably more likely to be phoning rather than texting.

Both equally stupid.

tyred

Legendary Member
I will present as exhibit A, my 22 year old cousin.

She caused an almost head on accident in which it was a miracle someone wasn't killed in (she was texting coming over the brow of a hill on the wrong side of the road). Just four days later, she was stopped and given penalty points and a fine for texting while driving and complained about that because it was harmless????

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
See it all the time. The lass that crashed into the back of my car in January had been applying the full works (make up) for over a mile before...fortunately, the guy behind also witnessed it.

I find young lads drive stupidly fast and have no respect for others, and young girls driving too fast, on the phone/texting - both dangerous. Most of the 'pull outs' on me have been young women on phones....

Top Bottom