any downside to extended seatpost if you don't need it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mrklaw

colleague at work that has a brompton came and had a look over mine. Gave the frame a squish while folded and the seat dropped another 4 inches :P Didn't even realise that was a thing

Kell

Veteran
I suppose that depends on whether or not you're folding it in the correct sequence.

Seat post should go down last. If you try and put it down before the front end is tucked in, then it won't go down far enough.

Also, I forgot to add, I hacksawed about a 1/2 inch off the bottom of the rubber bung on mine.

Long story but as I say the telescopic one I hired fitted into the back of our mini convertible when folded, but the extended seatpost was really close to not going in. So every time I had to to try and squeeze it into the boot, the seat rubbed on the lip of the opening. Even that extra half-inch makes all the difference. (oo-er missus).

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Seatpost down locks it into folded position ,sounds like something was hindering the bike folding completely.

I am 5ft 91/2. The standard post fully extended is right for me which makes life simple ,just pull it all the way and good to go.

kais01

Regular
actually, with a 60 cm extended post my brommies just barely fit under office desks.

i am 175cm 5'9" and have by a small margin too long legs for the standard post, even with reversed pentaclip.

so have some excess margin with the extended post. to get correct extension every time when unfolding i have put two rounds of electrical tape at an appropriate height round the lower part of the post.

Kell

Veteran
actually, with a 60 cm extended post my brommies just barely fit under office desks.

i am 175cm 5'9" and have by a small margin too long legs for the standard post, even with reversed pentaclip.

so have some excess margin with the extended post. to get correct extension every time when unfolding i have put two rounds of electrical tape at an appropriate height round the lower part of the post.

You could invest in the plastic shim which provides a stop when pulling the post up.

It takes a bit of fettling (I didn’t cut mine enough the first couple of times, so the seat was too low), but eventually got it right.

Kell

Veteran
Does the tape stop the seatpost coming up? Or is it a guide?

The shim's useful as it provides a hard stop. But then mine came with the bike so it was free.

kais01

Regular
yes, two rounds of it at approprate height gives a hard stop. saddle is raised to same level every time.

it is also easy to adjust, just remove it and apply on a different height.

Top Bottom