any ebay experts out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i have posted an item on ebay for the sum of 2k, i have had a fair bit of interest in my item, however here lies the problem. i was sent a request from a potential buyer to send the goods in escrow using an independent company, buyer is prepared to pay £100 over the asking price,pay for shipping and pay the escrow charge...now in my experience if something looks like sh*t,smells like sh*t then it probably is shoot...am i right to be overly cautious even in light of the escrow company involved? any advice would be much appreciated.

fuzzymum1

If you don't have much feedback (you don't say one way or the other) then for large value items I would say the buyer is just being cautious, I know I would be with a newish seller of a high value item.

domtyler

Über Member
Whooaa, PayPal only pal. IME. Anything else and you are asking for a whole heap of trouble and misery.

DO NOT release any goods until you physically have the money in your hand.

You are right to exercise extreme caution. This sounds like a scam to me.

OP
OP
D

dangerousjules

Veteran
hi dom, yup i can't help but feel this is suspect. the item for sale is a watch that has many fakes in its wake...my thought is what would stop the 'buyer' from receiving and switching the watch for a fake then i'm left having to prove that i actually sent a real one.

stevenb

Agreed. I would avoid it. if they bid on it then you can delete their bid if your not happy with it.
I always stipulate on my auctions that they are for UK members only and no shipment abroad. Im not sure what your selling but if people are offering to pay over what it's worth then they just aren't genuine.....especially where ebay is concerned.
My 2p anyway. :biggrin:

Maz

Guru
i would politely ask the buyer to bid on your terms only.
if he doesn't like that, that's his lookout.
dont fanny around trying to meet his needs.

OP
OP
D

dangerousjules

Veteran
i'm not having much luck since the bid before on this watch was from somebody apparently in germany that wanted to send it to their cousin in nigeria...YEAH RIGHT!

davidwalton

Escrow payments are protected. See https://www.escrow.com/

Neither the buyer who pays money in to Escrow, or the seller, can cancel anything without both parties agreeing.

I would trust Escrow before PayPal or EBay, anytime!!

BTW- D0 READ http://www.lookstoogoodtobetrue.com/fraudtypes/escrowfraud.aspx
Only deal with https://www.escrow.com site, none other that is similar.

got-to-get-fit

Danjerousjoules.......your looks like shoot, smells like shoot radar is probably right ....you are flogging a 2grand watch and someone is offering an arrangement that you neither understand nor trust. Is it really worth the hassle and worry for the extra 100 quid that he is promising.

Stipulate Paypal only, stipulate uk shipping only and trust your bullshit radar ....you wont go far wrong.

Im sure their are people who will say Escrow is better but if you understand how to use Paypal, trust it and have had no problems in the past then stick with what you know. If the buyer has a trust issue with you then tell him he is welcome to collect the goods in person or that you will arrange a meeting point midway to exchange goods and cash.

..........and never ever ever ever ever ever trust someone who mentions nigeria or any other african nation or gives you any rubbish about sending on to cousins, brothers aunties, soms , daughters etc.

My E-Bay advice is keep it simple, trust your instincts and dont tolerate any crap.

davidwalton

dangerousjules said:
how does the escrow process protect me from a substitution of my real rolex for a fake?

Read the site. Seller doesn't get the money until buyer releases it, ie. after receiving goods and happy with them. Payment until then is protected from any action from either side, except for the buyer to release payment, or seller to accept non payment and allow the buyer to have the money back.

Maz

Guru
davidwalton said:
Read the site. Seller doesn't get the money until buyer releases it, ie. after receiving goods and happy with them.
what happens if the buyer initially likes the item, pays for it, then for some reason says he wants a refund and sends back a fake to the seller?

i dont like this escrow/nigeria bollox one bit....

got-to-get-fit...your avatar is grossing me out man!

davidwalton

got-to-get-fit said:
Danjerousjoules.......your looks like shoot, smells like shoot radar is probably right ....you are flogging a 2grand watch and someone is offering an arrangement that you neither understand nor trust. Is it really worth the hassle and worry for the extra 100 quid that he is promising.

Stipulate Paypal only, stipulate uk shipping only and trust your bullshit radar ....you wont go far wrong.

Im sure their are people who will say Escrow is better but if you understand how to use Paypal, trust it and have had no problems in the past then stick with what you know. If the buyer has a trust issue with you then tell him he is welcome to collect the goods in person or that you will arrange a meeting point midway to exchange goods and cash.

..........and never ever ever ever ever ever trust someone who mentions nigeria or any other african nation or gives you any rubbish about sending on to cousins, brothers aunties, soms , daughters etc.

My E-Bay advice is keep it simple, trust your instincts and dont tolerate any crap.

I agree, but don't look with blinkers on. Escrow IS a recognised Internet payment system. One that protects BOTH sides, not just the buyer. With PayPal, or Credit Card payments, the buyer is the only one protected. The Seller is not.

If you understood PayPal, you wouldn't touch them. PayPal can freeze your account at anytime and for no reason at all (especially if there is a large payment just gone through). They do not operate within UK regulations, do not answer questions, and do keep money they freeze for themselves.

Common sense is required, not blinkers. If in doubt, research, don't call it crap or something else because it is not something you are aware of.

A lot of money goes through Escrow. Even places like http://www.scriptlance.com/ use it to help ensure both sides are protected as much as is possible. Hardly a crap idea IMHO.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Maz said:
i dont like this escrow/nigeria bollox one bit....

Totally agree. Paypal and UK addresses only, tell anyone else to take a hike and look out for anyone with less than 10 feedback.

Top Bottom