Any Enigma owners out there ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Van Nick

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there are any forummers out there that own an Enigma.

I'm very seriously considering buying myself either an Eclipse, or at a push, an Echo Enigma road bike.

Problem is, I've never even seen one, other than in photographs and the nearest dealer must be about 60 miles away.

Firstly, I'd be glad for any comments about build quality and handling etc and whether they are as good as some people seem to suggest. How do they compare with road bikes produced by other ti manufacturers such as VN, Sunday, Merlin, Lynskey or Burls etc ?

A slightly strange question, but does anyone have any experience of fitting a 28C tyre to either an Eclipse or Echo framed bike ? I'd just like to have the flexibility to have a wider tyre to allow me to use the bike on slightly rougher surfaces, as it would be a big investment for me and I'd obvioulsy like to use the bike as much as possible.

Photographs on the Enigma website would suggest to me that the Eclipse has a slightly wider tyre clearance than the Echo.

The Eclipse uses straight gauge tubing, whereas the Echo uses butted tubing and consequently the latter is very slightly lighter. Maybe this means that the Eclipse is stiffer.

I'd be very grateful for any comments from any forummers with experiences of the Enigma brand.

Many thanks in advance.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Nick have a look at the reviews on acf.

OP
OP
Van Nick

Van Nick

topcat1 said:
Nick have a look at the reviews on acf.

Hi topcat1.

Many thanks indeed for that, but this doesn't really tell me much, unless I'm looking at te wrong page.

http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=39780.0

OP
OP
Van Nick

Van Nick

marklowe said:
did you get any further on this question Van Nick? Im interested in the same questions

Hi Mark,

I'm still deliberating to tell you the truth. Have you seen the review of the Enigma Etape on Bike Radar (see link below), within which they state that "we would gladly ditch the mudguards and place it on the start line of any road race or criterium" ?

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/etape-08-31660

Having never seen an Enigma Etape, and never likely to unless I make the long trip down to Brighton, I'm still reluctant to take the plunge and order one in case it turns out to be a bike with a ride that is too spongy and not responsive or quick enough for my liking.

The Bike Radar review was very positive and I do like the fact that it can accommodate wider tyres and has fixings for mudguards and panniers though.

I just wonder if the tradeoff will be a bike that is not very racey.

It's also worth pointing out that it looks like Enigma are running down the stocks of the 2009 Eclipse model to make way for a cheaper 2010 version which will include a non integrated headset and possibly other cost saving measures.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
FWIW, Enigma aren't in Brighton now - that was their predecessor whose name escapes me.

No nearer though to you!

Enigma Titanium Limited
Unit 11
Westham Business Park
Eastbourne Road
Westham
East Sussex
BN24 5NH

bianchi1

Guru
"FWIW, Enigma aren't in Brighton now - that was their predecessor whose name escapes me."

That would be the infamous Omega!!!!!

OP
OP
Van Nick

Van Nick

[quote name='Blott's Mate']My Eclipse is fab & beats a lot of the boys on their TT bikes![/QUOTE]

Thanks Blott's Mate

Top Bottom