Any fishkeepers here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I've just started this as a new hobby. We never had an aquarium before, even as a child, so I got a 60l tank to enjoy with miniMikey.

I'm amazed by how much there is to learn! It's a lot of fun too.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
If you want an aquarium keeper (current or ex) to glaze over in utter dispair and shudder, mention the phrase 'Slime Algae'...........:blush:;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Two goldfish are in a tank. One asks the other "How do you drive this thing anyway?"

Boom boom.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Don't be in too much of a rush to add the fish to the water. Make sure you 'cycle' the water first before adding the fish otherwise they are likely to be ex-fish rather quick. Also don't add too many fish as this will mess up the Ph of the water.

papercorn2000

The bold comrade Redcogs has succumbed to watching fish in his dotage. He wouldn't have been doing that in 1968!

TVC

I used to keep fish, and I found that a good fish shop is just like a good LBS, if you get to know and trust the guys that work there you'll pick up so much info and advice.

longers

Legendary Member
Amazing set up Panter :evil:. Still going strong? That looks like a serious amount of work to set up and keep running.

Cheddar George

oober member
I have a nice 180 Litre bow fronted corner tank with an assortment of easy to keep community fish. Better than watching the TV.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
longers said:
Amazing set up Panter :evil:. Still going strong? That looks like a serious amount of work to set up and keep running.

Thank you :evil:

Yup still going strong. I had a lot of problems with an angel fish that kept scoffing the corals and then a problem with colour loss but its all on the up again now.

I must admit though it does take a bit of commitment to keep on top of things.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
we had to give our tanks up when we lost the time to clean them properly and the budget to restock them.

a relaxing thing to watch them though. get a coolie loach and he'll be a thrill to spot, you can never have too many neon tetras, don't mix small nippy fish with angel fish, and only ever have one male siamese fighting fish per tank.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Panter said:
Thank you :evil:

Yup still going strong. I had a lot of problems with an angel fish that kept scoffing the corals and then a problem with colour loss but its all on the up again now.

I must admit though it does take a bit of commitment to keep on top of things.

what happens if you go on holiday? Do you need someone trustworthy to 'babysit' them?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
yorkshiregoth said:
Don't be in too much of a rush to add the fish to the water. Make sure you 'cycle' the water first before adding the fish otherwise they are likely to be ex-fish rather quick. Also don't add too many fish as this will mess up the Ph of the water.

Yep, thanks! I've done a lot of reading in the last couple of weeks, and have gone the safestart route (bacteria in a bottle) with a couple of guppies. It's perhaps not quite the purist way, but there's not a hint of ammonia or nitrite in sight, and nitrate is slowly increasing.

When I started the tank without fish and with some flakes, a bit of nitrite came into being after a few days, and the safestart brought that to undetectable within a couple of hours.

Chris, wow that's lovely! And complicated and expensive I'll bet!!!

longers

Legendary Member
It'll be great if you can get your Guppies to breed BentMikey.

A fish I was always fond of was a Red Tailed Black Shark :evil:. A very graceful and beautiful addition.

Bigtallfatbloke

I am in charge of a 70l Juwell tank with freshwater communty tropical fish. It's become a drag...again...I clean it and maintain it properly but the dam fish still die. The PH of the water around here is high and I need to use a buffer to bring it down gradually but they still die...thiese littel bastards arnt cheap either...the filters and chemicals and stuff all add up as well. It's a lot of work, and that is with a so called low maintenance tank.

When the last one is toast the tanks going on ebay

Top Bottom