Any gas engineers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crandoggler

Just a quick question.

Ive got an old Baxi Bermuda 57/3m or something back boiler in my house.

The fire surround looks like something you'd see on a 70's sci fi film. So, I'm looking to change it, or indeed remove it, and then cover it.

Now I'm well aware that these back boilers need good ventilation for combustion etc. And have seen many threads about the web stating that they should not be covered.

That's fine, but having read my Baxi manual, it states that the boiler can be operated without any surround fitted. So my question is, am I able to use a radiator cabinet as a 'new', or surrogate cover for the boiler.

I absolutely do not plan on ever using the gas fire at the front. And would basically remove access to the controls.

Ventilation would be much the same, if not better than the existing surround.

Just to confirm, the gas fire would not be removed, just the hideous surround. Please see pictures for confirmation of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 38

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Not a gas engineer, but I think it may not meet regs without its proper cover.

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

I think I understand why now. As the cover has directional vents for intake and exhaust. Hasn't been serviced for 5 years. Wonder if it's actually serviceable.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Where in the country are you? I know an honest, hard-working gas engineer who charged me £40 an hour in London. That's something of a bargain compared to Pimlico Plumbing.

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

Sorry, I didn't explain. I don't own this property, nor the boiler. It's owned by the military.

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

You'll lose the fire as well as the back boiler, combined unit

Why aren't they getting it serviced then?
I'd quite happily lose the fire, the room has a large radiator inside also. I'm sure they're in the process of organising one for 3 years time. Safety is no priority for carillion amey.

Top Bottom