Any gas engineers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

Of course. It would be my fault for attempting to put the water on. To be fair, it's the first property we've been in that has an old boiler. Fingers crossed it goes tits before long.

DanZac

I think I understand why now. As the cover has directional vents for intake and exhaust. Hasn't been serviced for 5 years. Wonder if it's actually serviceable.
I'm no expert but i would be quite surprised if the MOD with their hundreds of properties and landlords gas safety requirements had accidently overlooked servicing your boiler for the last 5 years. I know that all the years I lived in MOD property they were all over it like a tramp on chips.
I would suggest that if you have concerns as to its safety that you raise it with your famalies representative (who will probably tell you that under the terms of your lease that you can't mess with it).
Sorry not much help with the original question.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just a quick question.

Ive got an old Baxi Bermuda 57/3m or something back boiler in my house.

The fire surround looks like something you'd see on a 70's sci fi film. So, I'm looking to change it, or indeed remove it, and then cover it.

Now I'm well aware that these back boilers need good ventilation for combustion etc. And have seen many threads about the web stating that they should not be covered.

That's fine, but having read my Baxi manual, it states that the boiler can be operated without any surround fitted. So my question is, am I able to use a radiator cabinet as a 'new', or surrogate cover for the boiler.

I absolutely do not plan on ever using the gas fire at the front. And would basically remove access to the controls.

Ventilation would be much the same, if not better than the existing surround.

Just to confirm, the gas fire would not be removed, just the hideous surround. Please see pictures for confirmation of what I'm talking about.
Got the service manual. Fire is just a front, but you still need to leave the boiler in the hole.

Levo-Lon

Guru
As said its MOD so you'll need to go with what they say id think.
all my dealings with them were very by the book..

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

Yeah, that's what I read. Which makes me think that the original one can be taken off for use with a radiator cover. Or similar. I'm an aircraft engineer by trade. Frankly, I'm failing to understand how the restriction of airflow could possibly be caused by a less restrictive radiator cover.

D

Deleted member 1258

Just a quick question.

Ive got an old Baxi Bermuda 57/3m or something back boiler in my house.

The fire surround looks like something you'd see on a 70's sci fi film. So, I'm looking to change it, or indeed remove it, and then cover it.

Now I'm well aware that these back boilers need good ventilation for combustion etc. And have seen many threads about the web stating that they should not be covered.

That's fine, but having read my Baxi manual, it states that the boiler can be operated without any surround fitted. So my question is, am I able to use a radiator cabinet as a 'new', or surrogate cover for the boiler.

I absolutely do not plan on ever using the gas fire at the front. And would basically remove access to the controls.

Ventilation would be much the same, if not better than the existing surround.

Just to confirm, the gas fire would not be removed, just the hideous surround. Please see pictures for confirmation of what I'm talking about.

Looking at your pictures I recon you could turn a tidy profit flogging it as an antique.

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

As said its MOD so you'll need to go with what they say id think.
all my dealings with them were very by the book..
I don't doubt that. My dealings, since modern housing changed to carillion amey have been less than acceptable. For instance, I have to leave my property immaculate, with a freshly cut garden and in fully working order. My new house has half a cut jungle, doors which don't secure (outbuildings), a wall which is party coming away from a door frame and an electric cooker which likes to trip the fuse box. I'm on day 3. I wonder how many more faults I'll find within a few weeks.

DanZac

Yeah, that's what I read. Which makes me think that the original one can be taken off for use with a radiator cover. Or similar. I'm an aircraft engineer by trade. Frankly, I'm failing to understand how the restriction of airflow could possibly be caused by a less restrictive radiator cover.

If you do decide to mess with it and I would personally advise against it may I strongly suggest that you invest in the best Co2 and smoke alarms on the market. And probably best to tell your house insurance provider that you have illegaly altered a gas appliance without gas safe or the landlords permission.

classic33

Leg End Member
Looking at your pictures I recon you could turn a tidy profit flogging it as an antique.
Looks like one bought from a private landlord on the public sector, who removed all theirs following numerous incidents.

Brains

Legendary Member
By law, if you are renting the property then it is the landlords (MOD) responsibility to provide you with an annual gas certificate.
If they don't, they would be be prosecuted.
They can not rent a property with uncertified gas equipment
So either you get a certificate, or you would be well within your rights to withhold the rent (it would be illegal for them to accept it in any case)

I would not remove the front, as even if it makes no difference, because if there was any issue it would make the gas certificate null and void

As for the age of the boiler, we had one of those in the 1970's. We got rid of it in the early 1990's
The life of a boiler is normally 10-15 years depending on the hardness of the local water, so your one looks like a museum piece

D

Deleted member 1258

Looks like one bought from a private landlord on the public sector, who removed all theirs following numerous incidents.

When we moved in here about eight years ago we had a floor standing boiler in the kitchen that wouldn't have looked out of place on the Antiques Road Show, we had a plumber in to cure a leak on the hall radiator and when he saw the boiler his comment was "I've not seen one of those before!"

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

Yep. I agree. The whole street are still rocking these bad boys. They must be quite a reliable unit.

We'll see. I do worry that I have 2 carbon monoxide alarms above the boiler.

Safety first!

:unsure:

classic33

Leg End Member
Yep. I agree. The whole street are still rocking these bad boys. They must be quite a reliable unit.

We'll see. I do worry that I have 2 carbon monoxide alarms above the boiler.

Safety first!

:unsure:
Fire is okay, thermocouple on the back boiler doesn't last very long though. If you're lucky it'll knock itself off.....

Top Bottom