Any Gin aficionados on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You must really hate Martinis

Yep, I prefer my Martinis made by the time honoured method of pour the Gin and wave the glass in the general direction of Italy, I seem to remember this recipe being invented by Noel Coward but I may be wrong

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Isn't the only difference the price and a fancy bottle /label ? You've swallowed the the marketeers hype
Are many people aware that when Gin was last really popular (turn of the 1900's) that Scottish Whisky distilleries would sell 'raw spirit' straight from the still to Gin makers who would then add aromatics (Juniper berries etc) to that and run it through a 'Gin Still'. This was a way to keep production going and the 'Coppers' warm instead of them packing it into Oak barrels and storing the spirit for several years. This wasn't done with a Malt 'Mash' though but with a 'Grain Mash' (the cheaper part of a 'Scotch' such as Bells,Teachers etc.)

Are many people aware that when Gin was last really popular (turn of the 1900's) that Scottish Whisky distilleries would sell 'raw spirit' straight from the still to Gin makers who would then add aromatics (Juniper berries etc) to that and run it through a 'Gin Still'. This was a way to keep production going and the 'Coppers' warm instead of them packing it into Oak barrels and storing the spirit for several years. This wasn't done with a Malt 'Mash' though but with a 'Grain Mash' (the cheaper part of a 'Scotch' such as Bells,Teachers etc.)

Our local whiskey maker turned their hand to gin to have some cash flow whilst their first barrels matured.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Taste too - you can tell

can you though, in amongst all that tonic and ice?

That's a genuine question btw, I've never done a blind tasting to check that out? at home you have the unconscious bias of "I've paid £40 for that, it must be nice". But the tonic is a big part of the taste of a G&T, hence fevertree* advertising message, "don't ruin your gin with shoot tonic" (papa-phrased!)

Whisky is slightly different as more likely to be drunk neat or with a tot of water only.

I'm not a big spirit drinker to be fair.

*other premium tonics are available

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's the botanicals that you taste TBH

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've seen bottles of Alcohol free gin on the shelves in the local supermarket and wondered at the price they're asking.
The other thing I've noticed is that " Gin Liqueur " is 20% spirit.
There was a documentary about how businesses were coping during lockdown. They interviewed the owner of one of the well known " Artisanal " Gin producers who showed the massive tanks of industrial spirit waiting to be converted in to gin. She was instead switching to making hand sanitizer which was In short supply at the time.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Tanqueray Sevilla is my favourite... tonic, a dash of bitters and a twist of orange peel, lovely.

I love Hills and Harbour gin from Dumfries, it tastes of pine which is pretty unique and more pleasant than it sounds. Also Harris gin is amazing, but at getting on for 40 quid a bottle they are both once or twice a year treats when I visit Edinburgh.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mother’s ruin. Haven’t had Gin for ages but devaluation of the currency here means I can buy a litre of Gordon’s for six quid . A G&T is rather nice and fresh orange juice as a mixer is also good. Doesn’t work so well with coconut juice. Any other suggestions? I pour it over ice cream which is rather stunning.
what about these flavoured gins, has anybody tried them?

Gin & Tonic and throw some frozen fruit in - Blueberries or Raspberries work well.

Top Bottom