Any good jokes ... ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m sure there’s a technical term in psychology for why I find jokes based on how different people within my own country pronounce things differently - e.g. the “Yorkshire for...” jokes on ISIHAC - funny, but I no longer find jokes based on how foreign people with coloured skins aren’t even able to pronounce the Queen’s English properly funny (or even tasteful) at all.

Not very technical, but I’ll give it a go. Double standards?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I no longer find jokes based on how foreign people with coloured skins aren’t even able to pronounce the Queen’s English properly funny (or even tasteful) at all.
God help us all if we get to a point where jokes have to be tasteful. I understand where you're coming from but I have to admit I still have a soft spot for the one about the guy who complains that his chicken is rubbery and the Chinese waiter says 'Thank you sir'.

swansonj

Guru
God help us all if we get to a point where jokes have to be tasteful. I understand where you're coming from but I have to admit I still have a soft spot for the one about the guy who complains that his chicken is rubbery and the Chinese waiter says 'Thank you sir'.
You are right that “tasteful” was the wrong word to use. But I was trying hard to avoid introducing the “racist” word.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A collision on the M20 between a lorry full of tortoises and a lorry full of terrapins, police say it's a turtle disaster.

+
That only really works if it was on the A456.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You're gonna have to expand on that dear boy....:huh:
It's in the West Midlands, where the accent (just) makes the joke work. Say "total" in a Kent accent and it's nothing like "turtle".

For those of us who grew up in the Central TV area it has the added joy of reminding us that the West Midlands Safari park (presumably where the animals were headed) is between Kidderminster and Bewdley.

(Edit)
https://www.cyclechat.net/search/12191570/?q=Turtle&t=post&o=relevance&c[thread]=78142

It also works at the north end of the A1. Or, bizarrely, if one lot of animals was on a train .

Last edited:
Top Bottom