Any hacks for fitting a braze-on type rack to a bike with no braze-ons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenbetty

Über Member
I've got an old folding bike I use for shop-pootling. It's got a basket but a rack would be handy as well.

I also have a spare rack which is a nice size for this bike, but it needs braze-ons on the rear dropout and the bike doesn't have them. There is a mudguard but the stays are fitted directly onto the rear axle, which won't work for the rack (holes far too small).

Are there any cunning hacks to get round this? It's not worth getting braze-ons brazed on - in fact I'm not sure the bike would survive that - so I was thinking of something like two plates with a big hole and a little hole that I could bolt onto the axle.

I know I could buy a seat-post mounted rack but I'm trying to reuse stuff around the house.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
get some of these, but cheaper from a good LBS
http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=21009

OP
OP
brokenbetty

brokenbetty

Über Member
Sorry, I'm being a bit dumb here - how would you use p-clips to secure the bottom of the rack (the eyelets that would normally screw to holes on the drop-out) - do I attach them where the seat stays meet the drop-out?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
brokenbetty said:
do I attach them where the seat stays meet the drop-out?

that would be the best place, yes :tongue:

i would also fit them to the top mounts on the seatstays, and make the rack a 4 point one.

OP
OP
brokenbetty

brokenbetty

Über Member
hubgearfreak said:
that would be the best place, yes :ohmy:

i would also fit them to the top mounts on the seatstays, and make the rack a 4 point one.

:wacko: I'm not that dumb - I use them for the top mounts on most of my bikes as tiny bikes hardly ever have seat stay braze-ons. I just never realised they were secure enough to be used at the bottom as well.

Thanks for the help

Top Bottom