any idea how to get to the cone nut and get the inner bearings out?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

qkcam

I was able to get the gears off by removing the falcon bearing set... but the cone nut is buried down inside the copper color thing.. (what is it called? )

thanks

Attachments

• hub.jpg
    hub.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Q

qkcam

i am overwhelmed .. my brain doesn't work like it used too.. I am not sure what I need to do.. (reading alot is very overwhelming for me..sorry) to get help with triying to get this bike going so I can maybe have an outlet by riding. I used to ride my bike all day and half the nite as a kid and teenager.. sometimes all nite as a teenager.. but that was a few decades ago.. and bikes were easier then. I really need something easy now..and light weight... so i can hopefully try to get on the pedals again.. I dont know if my body will allow me to . but i want to try and i have issue with 24" mtn bike axel. trying to get to a set of bearings.. got one done..but other side stuck. hope you all have fun!. i tried to post my issue..but i only see lines through it.. not sure what that means. good nite.

D

Deleted member 1258

Remove the locknut and cone from the other side and push the axle through, is the copper thing the freewheel part of a 5 or 6 speed block thats been dismantled?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi

Just like Dave R said, you need to undo the nuts at the other end of axle and slide it out. The cone and locknut at the gear end stay on the axle unless they need replacing. Just check the 'fixed' nuts are tight against each other.

You have dismantled the freewheel which isn't normally done due to the small bearings and risk of losing them or the pawl/ratchet springs. However, all is not lost and they can be rebuilt with care, used to do it all the time when I was a teenager. Just use a small amount of thin grease to keep the bearings in situ during re-assembly.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Your mistake was to dismantle the freewheel in situ rather than removing it. It unscrews using a splined tool which someone such as St John Street Cycles would stock. Once the freewheel is off the bearings will be accessible.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Reassembling a freewheel is rather fiddly. I have done a few.

OP
OP
Q

qkcam

thanks for the great support! I was at a community bike shop on sunday..they had the tool but 3 people could not get that thing loose. so i came home and blasted it with Pb blaster- at the shop we did take our one side of the bearings and repack.. they needed it badly.. it was like godzila's ear wax in there. no kidding! the axle will not budge.. maybe the PB blaster has loosend up the parts so if i can get my hands on one of those tools maybe it will break freely now .. then i have to deal with repacking those 70 bearings? if i can get that axle the rest of the way apart.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just remove (unscrew) the freewheel using the normal tool. Left nut, locknut and cone off and push through catching bearings as necessary. Plenty of access to the bearings for your best service. Then discard the redundant freewheel body and screw on a new (or used) block.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom