Any idea what this bike could be

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have taken a couple of pictures of the front wheel, the rear is an old Mavic but the wheels have been on the bike since @BottomCrank found the bike, second hand, in Holland somewhere.

Interestingly, where the downtube meets the bottom bracket, seat tube and chain stay,
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG
it has been ovaled, but it's round at the top end. I don't know if that gives any clues at all.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Don't get too excited; @BottomCrank 's bike has mudguard eyelets, unlike the Bianchi.
It has some of the features of the Revell/Freewheel bikes of the mid/late 80's, (made by Coventry Eagle?), but then again that's not exactly diagnostic! Looks good, anyway.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

Don't get too excited; @BottomCrank 's bike has mudguard eyelets, unlike the Bianchi.
It has some of the features of the Revell/Freewheel bikes of the mid/late 80's, (made by Coventry Eagle?), but then again that's not exactly diagnostic! Looks good, anyway.
It goes like stink.
I am chasing his tail, half way around Lincolnshire and have massive problems catching him on it. I'm on my lightweight, flimsy bit of Carbon and weigh 10 stone wet through, he is enormous and a bit more than 10 stone and that bike really cuts along. Naturally, he's faster downhill as there is somewhat of a weight advantage.
I'm not sure that he really cares what it is, he just loves the thing. It's taking up a hell of a lot of space in my bike room (downstairs loo - there is a loo in there somewhere, past the bikes, I'm sure that there is) at the moment. I think that he's sneaking his bike collection into my home.

woodbutcher

Veteran
It goes like stink.
I am chasing his tail, half way around Lincolnshire and have massive problems catching him on it. I'm on my lightweight, flimsy bit of Carbon and weigh 10 stone wet through, he is enormous and a bit more than 10 stone and that bike really cuts along. Naturally, he's faster downhill as there is somewhat of a weight advantage.
I'm not sure that he really cares what it is, he just loves the thing. It's taking up a hell of a lot of space in my bike room (downstairs loo - there is a loo in there somewhere, past the bikes, I'm sure that there is) at the moment. I think that he's sneaking his bike collection into my home.
Downhill, you must be in the wolds . Im originally from Sleaford then Boston and as a kid l remember cyclin 16 ish miles just to find a hill to ride down^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
Couldn't find a Cinelli that had the same named parts fitted, for the time period. Bianchi always seemed to top the list.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

Downhill, you must be in the wolds . Im originally from Sleaford then Boston and as a kid l remember cyclin 16 ish miles just to find a hill to ride down^_^
I live right on the edge of The Wolds. Horncastle way. I can find hills, flatlands and gentle lumps depending on direction. Flat ride tonight to Sibsey, to collect my car from the ex (I loaned it to him so he could get to the docs in Horncastle). I'll go the long way and try to get in a nice 50km ride. Some of those long straight 'drain' roads are just the pits. So bloody dull. The sunsets and sunrises are amazing though, with the massive skies here. Like Norfolk only not as lumpy.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

The ovalling (is that a word) of the downtube, where it meets the BB area is strange. It's clearly made like that. Very strange and I've never seen that before. All the other tubes are round, top and bottom but the downtube is round at the top and oval at the bottom. I suspect that the bike has had a respray at somepoint in it's life. I've looked at the chips (there are a couple) and can't see any significant colour on there except for a mucky black.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I live right on the edge of The Wolds. Horncastle way. I can find hills, flatlands and gentle lumps depending on direction. Flat ride tonight to Sibsey, to collect my car from the ex (I loaned it to him so he could get to the docs in Horncastle). I'll go the long way and try to get in a nice 50km ride. Some of those long straight 'drain' roads are just the pits. So bloody dull. The sunsets and sunrises are amazing though, with the massive skies here. Like Norfolk only not as lumpy.
Yep you are definitely an East Anglian, and nothing wrong with that, l know what you mean by drain roads, there is one, l think near Boston or maybe Spalding called 7mile straight and if you have a head wind it is not worth the effort ! I lived for a few years in N. Norfolk near Fakenham , l suppose if you stretch a point you could say Norfolk has lumpy bits , now lm in France in the Lot and here there are proper hills and roads that twist there way up (and down) through the forests, all very picturesque :smile:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member

Small world! I'll be over that way this weekend, at my brother's place in Woodhall Spa, unfortunately sans velo, unless I can sneak the Brompton into the boot.
Probably wouldn't get much chance to ride anyway; there's some schedule involved, starting with Stickney car boot on Saturday morning (usually pretty good, to be fair - last time, about a month ago, I bought 24 mangoes for £4 and made enough mango chutney for the next two years). But I digress....

I'd guess that respray is a powder coat?

PS Flat it may be, but where else could you ride Boston to New York and back in a morning?

Top Bottom