Any ideas ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
I don't usually have much problem tracking down 'noises' on the bike but this one has me perplexed.
The story so far:
I just started riding upright again this Spring after a long period of back injury (and recumbent riding) and got an old steel-framed Chas Roberts out of the loft where it had been lashed to the turbo for the last four years. Lovely to be riding a nippy roadster after only a mtb on the road. But alarming cracks on the under side of the down tube just behind the headtube suggested that all was not well so I bought a Al+carbon seat stays frame & forks from Ribble thinking to swop the parts over and make a winter hack bike.
This involved a bit more than just swopping parts as the new frame had a hidden Ahead headset and threadless fork so needed a new stem. Also the frame tubes are bigger so I also needed a new band-on front derailleur (Tiagra) and a new seat post (carbon). The rest of the gear is basically Shimano 105 with a triple chainset.
From the first rides, there was a lot of noise which sounded like the chain rubbing on the front derailleur. So I fiddled and fettled but couldn't get rid of the noise. Plus it seemed like the chain was entirely clear of the derailleur cage when the noise was heard. Then I realised that the noise didn't occur if I pedalled gently - really smooth spinning along and all's quiet. So then I thought, it's the stem/bars when I pull/push on them when pedalling harder - but no, I can ride hands-free and the noise is still there. Likewise, it occurs when I'm out of the saddle so seat-post seems not to be involved.
The noise is most noticeable at the point when the pedals are most loaded, just after 12'o'clock and tends to diminish about the 'neutral' point. It occurs in all three rings but I've checked the chainring bolts anyway as well as the pedals (Crank Bros Quattros). It's definitely worse (loudest and most 'crunchy' sounding) when I'm cranking up a hill out of the saddle.

About the only thing left is the bottom bracket and the LBS has a new one on order for me but I was wondering if anyone had any experiences (e.g. with Ribble Al+C frames) which might shed light. I'm afraid I'm one of those perfectionists whose bike ride is spoilt by any untoward noises coming from the bike.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
did you swap over the bb too - could be time for a new one - other possible sources of crunching noises are bearings in the wheel that are ahem knackered. Easy to change and not much cost. The frame itself would flex under heavy loading could this be bringing the chain so it rubs against the front derailleur?

see also

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=98

zacklaws

Guru
Feel sorry for you, just had a similar experience and was 100% sure I knew what the problem was, bottom bracket, but it was too tight for me to remove and replace and my LBS was too busy to do it for me and to try in a few weeks time.

Then one day out on a ride with the lads, I was informed my chain was squeeky, but dammed if I could hear it, all I could hear was this loud grinding noise coming from my bottom bracket. Anyway checked and replaced my chain, chain rings and cassette and lo and behold all my grinding noises were cured.

Then my other road bike developed a similar problem, after checking my bottom bracket, greasing it and adjusting it, I still had the same noise. Finally discovered it was my saddle creaking.

My major problem is I am half deaf and tone deaf so it makes it hard to find things at times

OP
OP
Fiona N

Fiona N

Veteran
Thanks for that link PP.
Yes we did swop the BB over and it looked OK - certainly it was fine in the old frame. It's definitely not the derailleur - I forgot to mention that I removed the front derailleur as a test which confirmed that the noise was quite independent of both the derailleur and the chain ring in use. The wheels/hubs are fine too and the drive chain hasn't done that much mileage (plus, being in the loft was hardly harsh conditions) and all the rings/sprockets and chain are good. I'd hope that in a brand new frame, cracks a la Park Tools website are not an issue. So it looks like I've just got to wait until I can change the BB and see what happens then.

OP
OP
Fiona N

Fiona N

Veteran
Just went for a ride without a seat post and saddle - a short ride ;) - to test them as I don't have any alternatives (sadly, different tube diameters) and the noise is still there.

So it's looking more and more like the BB.

lukesdad

ali components will creak with steel bolts if you dont coat the bolts with copperslip or something similar this is due to bi-metal corosion.

orienteer

Could be the pedals where they screw into the cranks. Grease the threads and do them up tight.

zacklaws

Guru
If you do believe it is your bottom bracket, try giving it a good oiling, if the noise stops that confirms it.

The only problem if it is not, is that the oil will thin the grease out in the bottom bracket. This was something that was recomended to me to try, but I solved the problem before I did it

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Check it's not a chainring touching the chainstay. There'll be a rub mark if it is.

OP
OP
Fiona N

Fiona N

Veteran
zacklaws said:
If you do believe it is your bottom bracket, try giving it a good oiling, if the noise stops that confirms it.

Bit tricky this one as it's a sealed unit type, not the old loose ball bearings.

Pedals have also been taken out, regreased and remounted and I've also swopped the pedals for a different pair to check.

Chain rubbing on chainstay isn't a possibility as the noise happens in every gear.

Thanks for all the suggestions - this is going to be the best maintained bike outside of professional racing :biggrin:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
there will be some play in the bottom bracket if its worn, ie grab a pedal and push it in and out towards the frame if there's play it could be wworn.

As a suggestion thooguh you could try removing the chain and listening to the bottom bracket as you turn the pedals. I be;lieve theres a trick about putting the handle of a large screwdriver to your ear and the other bit against the seatpost (being careful not to scratch anything) which allows you to hear strange noises from the bb bearings

good luck!

this has a bit of info

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/Maintenance_and_Repair/Bottom_Brackets/Bottom_bracket_overhaul

OP
OP
Fiona N

Fiona N

Veteran
Well, we sort of have an answer :biggrin:
I finally got hold of an new BB - not easy needing Octalink for a triple, the source seems to have just about dried up to encourage everyone to buy a new crankset :laugh:
But it's sort of removed only half the problem. I didn't realise that I had two things going on - one (the worst) of which is related to the front derailleur which is - not to put too fine a point on it - a heap of c**p. The (lovely) old 105 derailleur didn't fit on the oversize tubes so my LBS fitted a Tiagra one instead. I didn't like it from the outset as it didn't seem possible to adjust it so that the lowest gears with the small chain ring were free of the cage as well as being able to use the big ring - it seemed to be a choice of either big ring or small ring - and being Cumbria, it wasn't a choice - I need the granny gears while the big ring is pure indulgence. But it bugged me - the noise, the complete pathetic-ness of the Tiagra derailleur (obvious once I put the bike back on the turbo so I could watch the parts without worrying about traffic - it flexes and wobbles all over the place) and the fact that fiddling with the derailleur (particularly moving it up, away from the big ring) meant that the clicking and grating noises got better or worse inversely to the performance of the gears. So I'm getting hold of a new 105 derailleur in the hope that this will finally solve the problem.

Wish me luck :evil:

kypdur

Hi Fiona N
I've also got a Alu Ribble with Carbon rear and the creaking is happening on mine as well, it's driving me nuts. I've replaced the pedals, cranks, bottom bracket, chain rings, chain, wheels, cassette and seatpost, regreased everything and nothing has cured it.

The only other thing I've noticed is if you apply pressure vertically downwards to the rear stays (in other word standing on them) when the bike is stationary a clicking noise takes place. I've found by pulling up on the rear stay after you have stood on it also gets the same noise. I think it might be where the carbon rear dropout is connected to the Alu frame and probably the contact point. I've tried greasing this area and it quietened it for a bit, but didn't stop it fully. Since then it has gradually got louder again.

My other Ribble is all ALU (SC61.10A) and no amount of pressure on the rear stays results in any noise at all, which would suggest some frame flex in the carbon rear frames.
Rather stupidly on my part, after greasing it the last time I stripped one of the securing bolts which means I can't undo it to try something else, but I'll post again if I get anywhere near a fix.

Other posts on the internet reckon by securing the contact points with Loctite the noise goes away, so that's my next move, once I've worked out how to remove the blooming bolt again.

Hope you have better luck!

Top Bottom