Any info on my coppi? + elswick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iggibizzle

Hi folks. I've been riding road bikes for a few months now, and am currently using this coppi I bought on ebay. No idea how old it is, or how pricey it would have been new! Or even if it's standard. Not much info on google or anywhere.

Aside from a new bottom bracket it's been spot on. Flies!

Excuse the daily riding dirt

2221FB81-167C-463B-95EF-016C30621AD8_zpsnfbmcvhz.jpg

54E2CE91-A5CE-4BFF-99AE-20944086AE77_zpsyq5oswpq.jpg

D509B9E3-29B3-445B-A905-74FB33896057_zps4g1m36ro.jpg

And a pic of my other bike. Great for commuting or other longer rides. Nice and relaxed. Although I've upgraded the tyres and replaced numerous spokes!

48D709E8-9888-4131-B5E8-864DFF111048_zps4hymmekp.jpg

ScotiaLass

Guru
Nice bikes!

OP
OP
iggibizzle

iggibizzle

Cheap and cheerful! And I like bright ones :laugh: The viking was bought dirt cheap to see if I got on with commuting on one. Done me fine. Gonna abuse it until it implodes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A Fausto Coppi, I never would have guessed! I would have thought it may be from the late nineties perhaps. Aluminium frame would have been less common than the steel ones for which they are known. Couldn't find out much about them, but here's a pic of the man himself:

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
iggibizzle

iggibizzle

Thanks :smile: I've done plenty reading about him but not much on these bikes! Found plenty on the older steel ones like you say.

Get plenty of 'older' people commenting on the name. 'He was my hero' etc etc.

Bought it mainly because it looks different. Stands out!

The viking could have been any colour. Just happened to be for sale at the time locally.

AndyRM

XOXO
Looks like an aluminium replica of the Galaxy, which would explain the massive down tube. A mix of lower end Campag parts which would be fairly standard.

Without the name, you'd probably have been able to get one for around £3/400 I reckon, cover it in Coppi branding and add another £1/200 to that.

Nice bike, looks very quick!

OP
OP
iggibizzle

iggibizzle

Yea it flies around the place. Was a bit scared of it at 1st as it feels so narrow, nose down, and twitchy, compared to coming from mtb's and the viking. Now it feels perfect!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, it is much more race orientated. You'll notice that the bars and seat on your Viking are nearly level but the Coppi is very different. The fork geometry is rather sharper too with the wheel much closer to the down tube compared to your existing bike, making it more twitchy.

OP
OP
iggibizzle

iggibizzle

Yea takes a while to get used to the change when youve used one for a couple of days and not the other. Prefer the position and speed on the coppi, but the viking is more comfy.

OP
OP
iggibizzle

iggibizzle

Well managed to crash the viking. It's a bit bashed but I honk il be able repair it. Although my broken wrist is more of an issue

Managed to purchase this though for faffing around on in winter. Simple machine. 5 speed elswick puma :smile:

0EBDA696-6125-4039-9D84-3391A9F74B35_zpsjsu6mpbh.jpg

OP
OP
iggibizzle

iggibizzle

It's probably repairable. I came off worse. I just haven't looked properly yet, and the puma came up for sale at a bargain price locally

Top Bottom