Any Jeremy Clarkson fans here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
It doesn't make any difference if he "jokes" about attacking cyclists - as he did in his last series - as part of a pretense or if it is a deeply held belief. If he makes a suggestion like this it feeds in to the consciousness of his millions of viewers and makes the life of people riding a bike on UK roads just that bit more dangerous and unpleasant.

If you are a cyclist, it's simple. Don't watch his TV shows

My wife chooses what I watch - nobody else!

vorsprung

Veteran
Clarkson is great fun. Just don't take him too seriously. I find him very entertaining on tv and in the Sunday Times.

Here is an example of his humour from the 6th of Feb this year

Conversation between Richard Hammond and Mr Clarkson

rh: Earlier this week they were running this story about cyclists wearing
video cameras on their crash helmets, so that they can video examples of road rage and people cutting them up on their bikes

jc: but cyclists deserve it

rh: don't say that! [coughs]

jc: they do, des...just the other week no, honestly, there I am sitting in a traffic jam in London and a Frenchman he was he tried to cycle between the pavement and my car and after he'd removed most of the paint with the brake handle thing he came round to the drivers door to tell me off in the silly accent that French people have

rh: a French accent?

jc: yes that. And I said to him listen if you just work harder you could afford a car!

rh: you are exactly the reason I want a camera on my bicycle helmet when I'm cycling

jc: why?

rh: when idiots like you get out of your car having cut me up...

jc: who pays the road tax?

[..and it goes on a bit complaining about militant cyclists etc ]

vorsprung

Veteran
Clarkson has a go at cyclists, politicians, men with beards and just about anybody. Why on earth do people take him so seriously.

Yeah it's just a joke. It's completely harmless. It has no impact on the real world whatsoever. People read and watch his output and are completely uninfluenced by any aspect by what he says, except for a wry chuckle at his obviously contrived opinions.

Because all people everywhere are so well informed that they won't take any notice of anything he says.

BigTam

Über Member
I see the big buffon has managed to upset yet more people, foot in mouth disease :whistle:

bigjim

Legendary Member
Bet the wife does not agree with his cycling views. Shes a keen cyclist.
article-0-0C32938400000578-483_468x909.jpg

Derek Zoolander

Yes I'm a fan of his, clever guy, sharp witted and very entertaining.

Shame some humourless folk can't quite spot he's er joking..

Oh and anyone silly enough to ride on the road deserves to have the piss taken..

Davidc

Guru
I used to like watching him, up to about 10 years ago.

Now I just find him boring and irritating. So I don't watch him.

I was given his last but one book. Read the first couple of anecdotes, got bored, have never finished it.

When the rest of the population catches up with me he'll lose his column in the Sunday Times and he'll be off the TV.

Until then he'll go on making comments which end up as Daily Mail headlines.

(I think it was the Daily Mail - 'twas on the shelf at the shop).

He's made a lot of money out of being a plonker and no doubt will make plenty more before he's finished.

Bicycle

If you are a cyclist, it's simple. Don't watch his TV shows

I'm a cyclist and I've watched one or two of his shows. He is a buffoon and a comedy dinosaur, but I don't take that whole anti-cyclist, anti-green thing too seriously. There's no reason for cyclists not to watch his shows because they're cyclists.

Finding the shows puerile, charmless or gauche seems to me a perfectly good reason not to watch.

Not watching because we are cyclists seems somehow to be about as tribal about it all as he pretends to be.

Top Bottom