Any ladies around here? The saddle!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have narrow sit bones for a laydee! It was the right width but definitely not the right shape!

Mmmm, well I am in the middle where sit bones are concerned. And yes, shape is equally important as width. :okay: Charge saddles have a pretty steady contour, some saddles are more t-shaped.

Bottom line is... Everyone's bottom is different. ^_^

OP
OP
O

okigen

Regular
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll pop in Decathlon tomorrow to see if they can help tilt down the nose a bit - wierdly I think my saddle is already a bit downwards. If that does not work then the Charge Ladle will be in order :rolleyes:

All you need to change the saddle position and angle is a 5mm allen key. It is quite literally a 30 second job.

If you haven't got one already, I would suggest getting yourself a decent multitool - a Topeak Hexus X or something else along those lines. They're invaluable for precisely these kinds of little tinkering jobs. :okay:

Also, before buying a replacement saddle, do check if the one you currently have fitted is at the right height and fore-aft for you as well. Sometimes a little tweaking can make one hell of a difference.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I was discussing this very subject with a friend yesterday. She recently had a bike fit which included dropping her bars by 1cm. This resulted in a more aggressive position which had the effect of moving her to a position where the pubic arch is in contact with the saddle and her sit bones in less contact with the saddle. This is uncomfortable and is stimulating the bone to grow a protective covering.

We raised the bars to their original position and she immediately felt more comfortable.

I therefore wonder if the OP should consider raising her bars?

OP
OP
O

okigen

Regular
Hello, so just to update, the lovely folks at Decathlon didn't understand why I wanted to tilt the saddle :rolleyes: but obliged anyway. It didn't help much, so I'll get the Ladle. Hope it'll be easy to install??
@PaulSB Oh, it sounds possible! My riding position is about 60-70 degrees so it is *a little bit* agressive I think. Apparently the stem is already at maximum height so I'll have to get a new one if I want to make it higher. But I'll try the saddle first, as I quite like my current riding position.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Chances are the position you like, is wrong and will continue to be until that's addressed. May become even moreso with a saddle change.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Spoon is quite narrow compared to the Ladle.

This - the Spoon is better for fellas. I had a Knife (same as the spoon, but lighter and they kept snapping though).

MrsF has a Ladle on the Full suspension - it's loads less padded than her hybrid saddle but she seems OK with it. Wider and shorter than fellas saddles.

This - the Spoon is better for fellas. I had a Knife (same as the spoon, but lighter and they kept snapping though).

MrsF has a Ladle on the Full suspension - it's loads less padded than her hybrid saddle but she seems OK with it. Wider and shorter than fellas saddles.

Yeah, the Ladle is quite firm, but I find it comfy enough to be able to ride unpadded for up to 30 miles. Well, on the hybrid, anyways. On the road bike, I prefer padded shorts / tights, but that's because I'm leaning forward more.

The shorter bit is also good, as there's less chance of the nose of the saddle tangling in one's legwear when stopping & starting. This is one thing where I'm undecided about the Selle SMP, because it has that long, concorde-like droop snoot.

Hello, so just to update, the lovely folks at Decathlon didn't understand why I wanted to tilt the saddle :rolleyes: but obliged anyway. It didn't help much, so I'll get the Ladle. Hope it'll be easy to install??
@PaulSB Oh, it sounds possible! My riding position is about 60-70 degrees so it is *a little bit* agressive I think. Apparently the stem is already at maximum height so I'll have to get a new one if I want to make it higher. But I'll try the saddle first, as I quite like my current riding position.

All saddles are easy to fit. As I said upthread, all you need is a 5mm allen key. :okay:

fossyant

Yeah, the Ladle is quite firm, but I find it comfy enough to be able to ride unpadded for up to 30 miles. Well, on the hybrid, anyways. On the road bike, I prefer padded shorts / tights, but that's because I'm leaning forward more.

The shorter bit is also good, as there's less chance of the nose of the saddle tangling in one's legwear when stopping & starting. This is one thing where I'm undecided about the Selle SMP, because it has that long, concorde-like droop snoot.

My wife's Pinnacle has a very padded cut out saddle with a slight suspension in the seat post - it came with it, but she's was more than happy with it.

Came a bargain on here from a member for an XS small blokes MTB - bloody ideal for MrsF as her hybrid is more surfaced variant. Anyway, researched on here for saddles and the Ladle was recomended. I've not had complaints, but it's on a 100mm full suspension XC race MTB - you can't go squishy saddles on off road bikes though - the boss is happy though. The charge saddles are a good starting point for anyone into seriously riding.

Sharky

Guru
Re handlebar height, can the stem be flipped? If you take a sideways look at the stem, you will see that it's not perpendicular to the bracket. It will go slightly up or down. Flipping it over should give a higher position.

Can you upload a photo of the handlebars from the side to confirm that this is a possibility.

My wife's Pinnacle has a very padded cut out saddle with a slight suspension in the seat post - it came with it, but she's was more than happy with it.

Came a bargain on here from a member for an XS small blokes MTB - bloody ideal for MrsF as her hybrid is more surfaced variant. Anyway, researched on here for saddles and the Ladle was recomended. I've not had complaints, but it's on a 100mm full suspension XC race MTB - you can't go squishy saddles on off road bikes though - the boss is happy though. The charge saddles are a good starting point for anyone into seriously riding.

Likewise, I got my first Charge for my road bike after reading up on here way back when. As luck would have it, I have a "Charge bottom" and it suits me well, so when I got the hybrid, it was a no-brainer to get another one.

I really can't be doing with squishy, padded saddles, as they pinch me in places I'd rather not be pinched. :blush:

fossyant

Likewise, I got my first Charge for my road bike after reading up on here way back when. As luck would have it, I have a "Charge bottom" and it suits me well, so when I got the hybrid, it was a no-brainer to get another one.

I really can't be doing with squishy, padded saddles, as they pinch me in places I'd rather not be pinched. :blush:

It's not always a male/female thing, as no saddle should pinch. It's usually not thought out on cheap bikes, but Charge saddles aren't expensive.

It's back to 'how to make your bike feel good' -all about contact points. Bars, saddle and tyres.

Top Bottom