Any mavic ksyrium riders here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cabbieman

I've recently purchased a pair of these that came with the standard 25's mavic tyres. I'm used to 28's on my last bike so I thought I'd fit 28's onto the mavics.
They were very difficult to get on but I'm no expert so no alarm bells ringing.
Went out yesterday and after only 10 miles, I noticed the tyre coming off next to the valve. Stopped and reseated the tyre after thinking I hadn't fitted it right and carried on with my ride.
25 miles later and all was good.
Went out today and after about 25 miles I suddenly felt the front tyre rubbing. Stopped to reseat it again and suddenly the innertube just burst. Changed the tube and reseated the tyre and came home.
After a look on tinternet it seems these wheels are capable of taking 28's but I'm not so sure.
Anybody have any views on this?
Is it me? I don't think so but may be wrong.

BorderReiver

Veteran
Some tyres are made to closer tolerances than others. Maybe you have a defective tyre? I've run my Krysium SLs with 25mm and can't see why 28mm shouldn't fit.

sight-pin

Veteran
With some tubes the reinforced part around the valve prevents the tyre from seating correctly if the tube is not fully inserted into the tyre, or with the threaded valve type, nutting the the tube before it's inflated can have that effect. You probably already know that though.

pawl

Legendary Member
I have these wheels.After all the hype about wider tyres I decided to give them a try 25being the widest due to frame clearance Big mistake.Fitted a pair of Vittoria pros.Most unconfortable tyres I have ever ridden on. The rear als split at the rim.
Gone back to my ever faithful Michelin pro endurance.

OP
OP
cabbieman

cabbieman

Still a learner really. When it happened yesterday, it did appear the tyre/innertube wasn't seated properly so just reseated the tube and tyre. Maybe it was just a faulty (ish) tube that wasn't quite a good natch with my tyre/rim. I'll run with this new one on and see how it goes.

OP
OP
cabbieman

cabbieman

I have these wheels.After all the hype about wider tyres I decided to give them a try 25being the widest due to frame clearance Big mistake.Fitted a pair of Vittoria pros.Most unconfortable tyres I have ever ridden on. The rear als split at the rim.
Gone back to my ever faithful Michelin pro endurance.

So are you now running on 23's?

I have the same problem on a set of Ultegra rims. I think it was because they can run tubeless tyres.
It did not matter which tyres I used, they would come off the rim unless I put about 70 psi in them and then went around banging the tyre. I then inflated them to the correct psi. Most times there were a few pings and bangs as the tyre seated itself.
On the Ksyriums (ssc sl) I had, I never had that problem though.

pawl

Legendary Member
So are you now running on 23's?
Yes I am.Not sure if it was the type/brand of tyre,it was like riding on those corrugated farm track.
Most uncomfortable, As I said I will stick with my Michelin’s,two p—- in two years isn’t bad.Had the odd nick in the tread which I seal with super glue.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If the tyre is coming off at the valve it can only be because you haven't pushed the valve up into the well of the rim to allow the tyre bead to settle correctly, before inflating. The "collar" of thicker rubber around the valve is preventing the tyre from sitting correctly on the rim. If the tyre was coming off somewhere else, yes, there may be a problem but even an amateur detective can tell you you must be doing something wrong with that valve.

U

User169

I've been running 28s on Ksyrium rims without any issues and I've given them a serious battering.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Be more worried about regularly maintaining your freehub so as to avoid the Mavic howl of death.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
I have 25s on my summer Kysriums and 28s on my winter ones. Every 1000 miles or so I service the free hub to banish the banshee wail. It’s a job I like doing so it’s no big deal to me.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have 25s on mine. However I am waiting on new drive side spokes (One to fix, one spare) for the rear wheel. Only been waiting since 9th September. They are a pain to get. ACycles sent the wrong ones but they were cheap enough so they'll do as spares for the non-drive side.

Top Bottom