Any MoD military ranges on your planned touring route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Not touring related but where I grew up we made BMX tracks out of the foxholes and trenches of the MoD training grounds. We used to go out collecting 'bullets', actually the casings from blank rounds. 'Do not touch suspicious objects'? Meh.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Not touring related but where I grew up we made BMX tracks out of the foxholes and trenches of the MoD training grounds. We used to go out collecting 'bullets', actually the casings from blank rounds. 'Do not touch suspicious objects'? Meh.

Yay, we went collecting empty cations on the local Mod training grounds. Loads round my way.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If an area is not listed on "public access to military areas", does that mean there's no public access? I'm wondering about the short cut from Mundford to Thetford.

If an area is not listed on "public access to military areas", does that mean there's no public access? I'm wondering about the short cut from Mundford to Thetford.
When I was a warrior stationed on Stanford training Area and ranges some years ago, we used to spend quite a bit time turning back Lorries, car,s and cyclist who thought they could sneak across the training when there was no training going on, without the required permit,. Many a trucker got pisses off when we made them turn back. Not sure of the rules these days, I would suggest you phone the Training HQ and ask them.

mjr

When I was a warrior stationed on Stanford training Area and ranges some years ago, we used to spend quite a bit time turning back Lorries, car,s and cyclist who thought they could sneak across the training when there was no training going on, without the required permit,. Many a trucker got pisses off when we made them turn back. Not sure of the rules these days, I would suggest you phone the Training HQ and ask them.
OK, as long as it's not a daft question.

Hopefully you can understand why locals are unhappy when it's now over 70 years since they thought the villages would be reopened. It's effectively a big hole in the forest 8 miles by 6.

OK, as long as it's not a daft question.

Hopefully you can understand why locals are unhappy when it's now over 70 years since they thought the villages would be reopened. It's effectively a big hole in the forest 8 miles by 6.
Really after 70 years you would take it for granted it would never open again Specially as there's nobody alive who is missing out.

mjr

Really after 70 years you would take it for granted it would never open again Specially as there's nobody alive who is missing out.
Except anyone on one side of the area who wants to go to the other and has to make an annoying detour.

Except anyone affected by house building because we're told Breckland doesn't have enough houses and yet there's half a dozen villages kept with no one living in them.

This old con trick still hurts trust in government.

Except anyone on one side of the area who wants to go to the other and has to make an annoying detour.

Except anyone affected by house building because we're told Breckland doesn't have enough houses and yet there's half a dozen villages kept with no one living in them.

Again the annoying detour is not an annoying detour if you have been doing it for 70 years.
Are you sure the houses are not being used for training?

What con trick? it was 70 years ago move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baldy

Über Member
If you want to go to Cape Wrath check with the range first. It's not closed all that often but when it is they'll be live firing from fast jets. You really don't want to be under one of those.

Top Bottom