Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Mocha and muffin

• 500 penny chews

• Saved it for a rainy day

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Abitrary said:
this beefheart song is crap as is the rest, but the intro by the presenters is inspiringly brilliant

I like that. Rather puts me in mind of Tom Waits in his more coherent phases.

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
I like that. Rather puts me in mind of Tom Waits in his more coherent phases.

tom waits is cuddly, and swordfishtrombones is one of the best albums ever, but captain beefheart is superflously scary and lacking

urrghhg, i just tried listening again and all i could feel was a drunk cross channel ferry captain playing xylophone on my ribcage

Abitrary

God, RT, I see what you mean.... i prefer the album version

love the lyric 'deck of cards with girls on the back'

wafflycat

Fnaar said:
I have one or two friends who would possily kill anyone who said Beefheart is a load of sh!te. Thet often therefore try to kill me, coz I just don't get it, I'm afraid. Mind you, they don't get The Jam, or the Specials, or know why I would have any liking whatsoever for the output of Weller's Solid Bond Studios or Trojan records at its finest. Horses for courses, innit!

I grew up listening to Beefheart, as my brother was a fan. I never got it at all.

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
That's a good link Arbitrary, cheers. His live stuff oes take a bit of getting used to after the albums, but once you get into it it's great. Endlessly inventive.

I can't honestly think of a more evocative song, of a place I've never been to but would like to:-

a Hong Kong drizzle on Cuban heels
I rowed down the gutter to the Blood Bank
and I'd left all my papers on the Ticonderoga
and was in a bad need of a shave
and so I slopped at the corner on cold chow mein
and shot billards with a midget
until the rain stopped
and I bought a long sleeved shirt
with horses on the front
and some gum and a lighter and a knife
and a new deck of cards (with girls on the back)
and I sat down and wrote a letter to my wife

simonali

Guru
I wouldn't be at all interested in the CD coz I know I wouldn't like it without even listening to it, but what interests me about the poll is the 500 penny chews bit.

Can you even buy penny chews nowadays? Surely they're either about 5p each or the size of tictac!

Dave5N

Über Member
Can I have another vote? I feel people like me are under-represented on the forum! ;)

ANd that was God moving in mysterious ways to help you not have a crap record on the shelves, Chuffy. You didn't forget, he took away the desire.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Dave5N said:
Can I have another vote? I feel people like me are under-represented on the forum! :tongue:

ANd that was God moving in mysterious ways to help you not have a crap record on the shelves, Chuffy. You didn't forget, he took away the desire.
Hallelujah! ;)

Top Bottom