Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Mocha and muffin

• 500 penny chews

• Saved it for a rainy day

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Foghat said:
As a connoisseur of decent Beefheart (witness these completely marvellous examples from his eminently listenable period of 1974:

Full Moon Hot Sun

Peaches

Mirror Man)

I can confirm that much of 1969's Trout Mask Replica is indeed unmitigated cobblers.

However, all music lovers should own his live London 1974 CD, which is full of feelgood, choogling numbers and a knockout Full Moon Hot Sun.

Is your avatar a Grateful Dead logo, Fogger?

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Indeed it is.

Careful! :blush:

Foghat

Watching that Full Moon Hot Sun again (ain't Youtube great?), it was nice to see at 4'44" the guitarist move forward to instruct the saxophone player to pack it in with the solo as the Capt was wanting to sing again (although Capt had told them all to go round again a bit earlier at 3'48").

Classic live stuff.......:blush:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Foghat said:
As a connoisseur of decent Beefheart (witness these completely marvellous examples from his eminently listenable period of 1974:

Full Moon Hot Sun

Peaches

Mirror Man)

I can confirm that much of 1969's Trout Mask Replica is indeed unmitigated cobblers.

However, all music lovers should own his live London 1974 CD, which is full of feelgood, choogling numbers and a knockout Full Moon Hot Sun.
D'you know what, I quite like those! P'raps my mates have just played me the weird stuff....

Abitrary

Fnaar said:
D'you know what, I quite like those! P'raps my mates have just played me the weird stuff....

That's what stuff like Beefheart and Zappa is all about, getting them out when people are stoned.

Where are those friends now in comparison to where you are?

Foghat

Fnaar said:

Another Captophobe converted to his 1974 period.

My work is done. :blush:

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
I saw a Beefart documentary a few years ago. I think it was about the making of TMR and how the mad Captain (tm) locked his band in a box until they could play random noise properly. I may have remembered that slightly wrong, but anyway, it convinced me that TMR was the musical equivalent of Marcel Duchamp's urinal and that, just like that iconic bit of bog furniture, no-one had got the joke.

Ok, I'l buy it tomorrow, but it might be Free To A Good Home shortly afterwards...

Melvil

Abitrary said:
That's what stuff like Beefheart and Zappa is all about, getting them out when people are stoned.

Where are those friends now in comparison to where you are?

Come on Ab, don't be coy - where do your tastes lie? :blush::blush:

Foghat

Zappa's fine, but all that comedy percussion gets a bit wearing after a while.

His guitar work was often impeccable and brilliant, though.

Chuffy said:
Ok, I'l buy it tomorrow, but it might be Free To A Good Home shortly afterwards...

See, heres the thing. Nearly everyone here thinks its crap. I think it is crap. Everyone I know thinks it is crap. But I think you should (and should have already) have bought it to find out for yourself.

It must be one of those albums which just 'clicks' at some point - I have tried about three times now and I just don't get it, but enough people rate it for me to believe there must be something I am not hearing.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
dmoan said:
See, heres the thing. Nearly everyone here thinks its crap. I think it is crap. Everyone I know thinks it is crap. But I think you should (and should have already) have bought it to find out for yourself.

It must be one of those albums which just 'clicks' at some point - I have tried about three times now and I just don't get it, but enough people rate it for me to believe there must be something I am not hearing.
Ah, now I go on gut instinct. If I have to work to learn how to appreciate an album (book, tv show, whatever) then that's it, I'm not bothered. But TMR is one of those holy cow albums that the cognoscenti quote to show that they really know music (man). Having never heard it I'm curious....

Top Bottom