Any Numismatic's on here?

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Wife is collecting £2 coins for an upcoming holiday & has been told some are worth more than face value to collectors. Other than Fleecebay it's there anywhere to check?

IMG_20191201_095756.jpg

Dave7

Legendary Member
Really? Mrs D also collects them and quickly snaffles any that I bring home.
I must google it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
When I just googled it, it said Charles Dickens ones were worth £1,300. On of ours is a C D coin so I looked on ebay. The ones for sale show bids of around £2.50:sad:.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have a whole stack of collectable £2 and 50p coins. There are many collectors who will pay way over the odds for certain coins, many are worth just over the face value to them. If you can find a Kew Gardens 50p that has been in circulation then they are very valuable. There are many that have not been in circulation, and they are not so.

https://www.ebid.net/uk/for-sale/ke...hX8uVVMDXdDr4pKONmXYISIxZuHmIPAxoCMmMQAvD_BwE

Chromatic

Legendary Member
My, admittedly limited, research into the worth of coins showed that for any coin to have serious value then it needs to be absolutely mint, value drops off very quickly as condition worsens.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I found an excellent condition 1841 silver US dime on a trail quite a few years ago. I was really excited and did wonder if it had any value so looked it up... about 4 quid. To be honest I got more value out of thinking that someone (based on the condition of the coin) had been walking around and dropped it one fine day in the early 1840's -until I came along and picked it up. I got over four quids worth of entertainment just thinking about what might have happened, or who owned it, or how they came to drop it....

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have a 1807 George 111 penny. My grandma gave it to me years ago. I went into a shop in Accrington to have it valued a few years ago, that has coins,gold chains,stuffed animals,war memorabilia etc for sale. I was thinking it'd be worth at least 2 or 3 hundred quid. They told me if it'd been in good condition it'd be worth....3 quid!:ohmy: Three fecking quid i thought!:headshake:
But it isn't in good condition they told me,so it's only worth 1.50 to 2 quid they added.:dry:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

So the advice is just to put them in the bank the face value is about all they are worth & the extra effort isn't worth it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
When I was a kid (many eons ago) I collected foreign coins. I knew zilch about them.
Now I cant recall details but I came to own one dated (I think) 1307.
I took it to the museum and they were excited and I left it with them to check.
It turned out to be from some country** that used a different calendar from ours and it was worthless.
**I must google that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom