Any of you machine or hand washed 'dry clean only' clothes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Our Bosch washing machine has a “ gentle” cycle. Combined with detergent free pure soap and a gentle spin we’ve never had any issues with shrinking or going out of shape.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I haven't washed them yet,as i forgot to buy some wool friendly washing liquid today.

Anything 100% wool should never be machine washed. It will shrink. Mixtures may be ok but better to err on the safe side. I have a "merino" jersey from Aldi which when you look at the label is in fact mostly synthetic and gets machine washed.
We sold woollen goods and the labels were very specific backed up by verbal instructions. Some smart alecs ignored the instructions and the garment shrank so they complained. We said we would sent the garment to an independent laboratory for testing and if they were wrong they had to pay the cost. We never heard from them again.
I wash my Aldi 100 merino in the machine on the wool cycle.
Never had any issues.
Sometimes machine washing is best - a gf was forever hand washing stuff and wrecking it.
I wouldn't machine wash accy's thing though.

I haven't washed them yet,as i forgot to buy some wool friendly washing liquid today.
Wilko in accrington should have this:
https://www.wilko.com/wilko-origina...VjLImYP7TXJuBY-5e3RoCTeIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Will probably be on the lower shelves as branded stuff will get the prime spots at eye height.
I still wouldn't machine wash your dry-clean things though.
Am looking forward to the report back with pics.
Can't help thinking they will be your new year bid to be the next Norman Wisdom.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I wash my Aldi 100 merino in the machine on the wool cycle.
Never had any issues.
Sometimes machine washing is best - a gf was forever hand washing stuff and wrecking it.
I wouldn't machine wash accy's thing though.
I have just been to check my Aldi "merino" jersey. In fact the wool content is 30% and the rest acrylic.
It gets machine washed anyway.
If you machine wash most 100% wool jerseys they will felt and shrink unless the label tells you otherwise.
I am as guilty as anyone as I now have a child size guernsey which started off as 46 inch chest but got washed in the alleged wool cycle in my washing machine.

I have just been to check my Aldi "merino" jersey. In fact the wool content is 30% and the rest acrylic.
It gets machine washed anyway.
If you machine wash most 100% wool jerseys they will felt and shrink unless the label tells you otherwise.
I am as guilty as anyone as I now have a child size guernsey which started off as 46 inch chest but got washed in the alleged wool cycle in my washing machine.
just checked two of my aldi merino long sleeved base layers - 100 per cent.
Have been machine washed many times no probs.
Have always used Lidl non bio washing liquid but now use the Wilko soap I linked to upthread.
I do have the impression that aldi merino isn't as good and as good value as it used to be.
Am off to the "things improved in my lifetime" thread to see if Mr Aldi has tried to sneak in "synthetic sheep"

oldwheels

Legendary Member
just checked two of my aldi merino long sleeved base layers - 100 per cent.
Have been machine washed many times no probs.
Have always used Lidl non bio washing liquid but now use the Wilko soap I linked to upthread.
I do have the impression that aldi merino isn't as good and as good value as it used to be.
Am off to the "things improved in my lifetime" thread to see if Mr Aldi has tried to sneak in "synthetic sheep"
My base layer is 100% wool but a jersey certainly is not. The important thing with any wool is the length of the staple ie the wool fibres. More expensive garments have a long staple and are softer to feel but long staple is less common and so the cheaper merino jerseys are short staple and a different feel.
I once knew some pretentious appearing craft knitters who told the punters that their garments were prewashed in the liquid of the fairies. This meant Fairy Liquid which in fact we also used also for any jerseys we made. We then spun them and tumble dried before sale.

stephec

Legendary Member
Have you done the deed yet @Accy cyclist ?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My guess is that you will probably be all right with a cool wash but that you will eventually realise that paying a dry-cleaner to do the ironing/pressing would be money well spent.
They aren't really 'smart' trousers,as in they don't have pleats on the front of the leg. Well they have slight ones,but not too obvious like suit trousers. I think if i gently wash them then fold them into shape on the clothes airer they won't need pressing.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I still wouldn't machine wash your dry-clean things though.

I'm not using an automatic machine. I have a twin tub,which is closer to hand washing than to machine washing. The advantage of twin tubs is that you can stop the cycle if you see for example dye coming out into the water.
Am looking forward to the report back with pics.
Don't worry,i've taken a couple of before wash 'selfies' and all will be revealed after the deed's been done!:okay:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I love twin tubs, long may they reign. I always found it odd living in Japan, robots, talking vending machines where you get all sorts and everyone had a twin tubs on the balcony.

I'm not using an automatic machine. I have a twin tub,which is closer to hand washing than to machine washing. The advantage of twin tubs is that you can stop the cycle if you see for example dye coming out into the water.
Bit late then isn't it?
I didn't know twin tubs still existed - maybe you've got my mum's old one - seem to remember a wooden stick was involved.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Bit late then isn't it?
I didn't know twin tubs still existed - maybe you've got my mum's old one - seem to remember a wooden stick was involved.
Ah yes the wooden stick , for many mums of the period the favoured weapon of child control. Mrs JK mum was more upmarket she had large tongs . Equally painful in the hands of an experienced practitioner .:laugh:

Top Bottom