Any one using this bike, what do you all think

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User65906

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/cyclocross-bikes/boardman-adv-8-9-mens-adventure-bike
ADV_8.gif

I want a bike for winter and rougher roads, but still want to cover distance,
this bike is supposed to be Ten and a half kilo, and is being ordered so I
can see it, I tried the Boardman Road Pro in 105 guise, supposed to be 8kg,
had no scales but the first thing I noticed was its weight, it seems heavier,
nice bike though, but difficult to part with more money for not much of a weight
saving, if I put 32 on the above instead of 40 I could save a bit.
View attachment 409286
Boardman_Road_Pro.gif

Here is the Road Pro, which looks to be able for 28 tyres, I would not gamble on 30
tires working out on it, which is why am leaning towards the ADV.
Any comments welcome, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

vickster

Legendary Member
If in U.K. you can save 10% at Halfords with British Cycling membership (in store not online)

Other than that, don't get the black one

OP
OP
U

User65906

If in U.K. you can save 10% at Halfords with British Cycling membership (in store not online)

Other than that, don't get the black one
Hi vickster, are you saying not to get a black bike, or is this particular Boardman Road Pro to be avoided for some reason.
I am honestly not a fan of black bikes because they are difficult to see on the road, but given all the illuminous cloths
my white helmet and lights on day or night, I have relaxed a bit regarding a black bikes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Seems a bit overpriced at a grand. I should wait until they have one of their 'sales'.

The Road Pro will be lighter due to the carbon frame.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Hi vickster, are you saying not to get a black bike, or is this particular Boardman Road Pro to be avoided for some reason.
I am honestly not a fan of black bikes because they are difficult to see on the road, but given all the illuminous cloths
my white helmet and lights on day or night, I have relaxed a bit regarding a black bikes.

@vickster comment is nothing to do with the quality of the bike, it is a long standing quip on her dislike for black bikes which you obviously haven't encountered before. I've got 4 black bikes and one of them is a Specialized which is a double no for Vic. I'll have to dig it out when I next ride with her.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Having looked at the bikes they are for two different disciplines. There is the one you say you are looking for, the adventure bike with wider tyres etc for the rougher riding and the road pro which wouldn't be as suited but has more bike for the money.

OP
OP
U

User65906

Hi all, thanks for commenting.
I understand the black bike thing, that frame is listed a grey, one of the the 40 shades I imagine,
and yes, the components are better and its a different geometry, its cheaper brother would in
fact be more comparable to what the ADV spec bike is, though without disk brakes.
Its just my idea of taking up some rougher roads that has me looking for a bike that will either
take wider tyres or comes with them already, and a disk brake to keep the rims from being
torn up in winter. I miss my voodo agwa which did all this, though a little on the heavy side
at 13.6 kg..
There are other options from Rose am considering, but I must be one of the few people to have
had success with a Halfords bike, thus see no reason to jump on a Brand wagon if the spec is
there. I like the Mega Exo crank on the ADV, should take more time to grind it out, wider
bearing spacing as compared to a bb30, smaller diameter bearings also reduce drag, I learned
this the hard way when I put a large diameter bearing on a generator, from the word go it
dragged more, causing more strain on the engine, not saying am an engine, but drag is drag
and to be avoided.
Regarding the components on the ADV, they are heavier, but I have found this range to last
longer, owing to the extra meat on them, if I change them then I gain in the weight compartment,
all in all the two frames cant be far apart weight wise, very different geometry though, and this
is what concerns me most, will the ADV be fast enough to cover a decent amount of ground
without becoming a humain killer.

OP
OP
U

User65906

Seems a bit overpriced at a grand. I should wait until they have one of their 'sales'.

The Road Pro will be lighter due to the carbon frame.
It does seem expensive, its 1200.00 euro here, but what is there in a similar bike,
its laid back geometry, wide wheels, and Mega Exo crank are what draws me,
what else is there in this kind of a bike range that will take the rough and hopefully
still be capable of covering ground on the tar, I could get a Cannondale Synapse alloy,
but it has a BB30 which I do not like, would rather have a BB30 a, but its not on the Synapse
in alloy, and the cdale is more expensive, but I have not ruled it out just yet, it gets good reviews.

vickster

Legendary Member
It does seem expensive, its 1200.00 euro here, but what is there in a similar bike,
what else is there in this kind of a bike range that will take the rough and hopefully
still be capable of covering ground on the tar, I could get a Cannondale Synapse alloy,
but it has a BB30 which I do not like, would rather have a BB30 a, but its not on the Synapse
in alloy, and the cdale is more expensive, but I have not ruled it out just yet, it gets good reviews.
Halfords often have bank holiday weekend sales so may be worth waiting a week or two. Also they do flash sales if you want to sign up to their spam

Whyte range of roadbikes for example are more of the rugged adventure type so worth a look too. Or smaller brands like Focus. Evans Pinnacle range have a loyal following too. Chain Reaction / Wiggle have the Ventus models. Someone posted recently about a recently bought orange gravel bike

A synapse is a roadbike more than gravel

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

User65906

Halfords often have bank holiday weekend sales so may be worth waiting a week or two. Also they do flash sales if you want to sign up to their spam

Whyte range of roadbikes for example are more of the rugged adventure type so worth a look too. Or smaller brands like Focus. Evans Pinnacle range have a loyal following too. Chain Reaction / Wiggle have the Ventus models. Someone posted recently about a recently bought orange gravel bike

A synapse is a roadbike more than gravel
Hi vickster
Halfords do not stock the ADV bike in my area, they said they would get one in for me to look at,
I almost pleaded with them not to get it on those grounds, but they said they would just say the
customer did not want it, so unlikely they will have it on the sale at the end of the month, which
would be nice.
Vitus, if that is the brand you mention, I looked at, they are not so cheap either, and their weight
is in some cases heavier than even the Boardmans, but will have a look again, and also the other
brands mentioned, thanks.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

I don't think the adventure bike is over-priced at all.

New Tiagra with full hydro's is very close to 105 bar the one less cog on the back. Not many bikes at this price with full hydro's.

Decent tyres (not sure why you would want to change them really), decent saddle etc plus it looks nice too imo.

40mm tyres will be very comfy and will eat up rough roads and tracks.

Re covering ground quickly - that'll be down to you more than the bike. I'm sure there are a good number of people on this forum who could ride that bike faster than most of us could ride a 7kg uber-bike.

Top Bottom