Any PC gamers around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've not used Stadia but I did recently use Steam Remote Play to co-op Untitled Goose Game with a friend in California (he was hosting).
It was surprisingly playable, despite him being more than a third of the way around the world.

I scoffed at the notion of OnLive and Stadia (and still do, but no longer for technological reasons), but infrastructure and technology really has come on in massive leaps and bounds since the days of playing QuakeWorld on dialup.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
I've not used Stadia but I did recently use Steam Remote Play to co-op Untitled Goose Game with a friend in California (he was hosting).
It was surprisingly playable, despite him being more than a third of the way around the world.

I scoffed at the notion of OnLive and Stadia (and still do, but no longer for technological reasons), but infrastructure and technology really has come on in massive leaps and bounds since the days of playing QuakeWorld on dialup.
Agree, some multiplayer games were a bit flaky back in the day.... Crysis springs to mind in 2007, much better these days .. :okay:

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Tough times for pc gamers since I started this thread back in September. No graphics card stocks and hyper inflation on new and used cards.
The 'expensive' £650 RTX 3080 I bought then is one of the hardest to get hold of... saw a used one go for an eyewatering £1862 yesterday on Ebay :eek:. Been gaming a long long time and never seen anything this crazy. Crypto miners and silicone shortages apparently.

Tough times for pc gamers since I started this thread back in September. No graphics card stocks and hyper inflation on new and used cards.
The 'expensive' £650 RTX 3080 I bought then is one of the hardest to get hold of... saw a used one go for an eyewatering £1862 yesterday on Ebay :eek:. Been gaming a long long time and never seen anything this crazy. Crypto miners and silicone shortages apparently.
Even my (freebie) GTX Titan X is a good moneyspinner now! People asking 500 notes for one. Looney times, for sure.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Looney indeed. Just checked completed listings on Gigabyte Aorus RX580 8GB, the same specific model as mine (there would be hundreds if I widened that to all RX580s, obviously..). They're now going for £400…broken ones are still getting £150! So I could make a profit on a three year old card (well, apart from the money I spent to get it modded for my Mac Pro, which was well spent). Not even slightly tempted, though.

I'd heard that the 3060 was deliberately hobbled to make it not cost-effective for cryptomining but it too sold out everywhere almost immediately.
I would guess from a combination of scalpers and people who want an upgrade, because all the higher-end stuff is already in the hands of cryptominers and scalpers.

My sister has been trying to get a PS5 with no luck at all since launch.

Mad times.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'd heard that the 3060 was deliberately hobbled to make it not cost-effective for cryptomining but it too sold out everywhere almost immediately.
I would guess from a combination of scalpers and people who want an upgrade, because all the higher-end stuff is already in the hands of cryptominers and scalpers.

My sister has been trying to get a PS5 with no luck at all since launch.

Mad times.
Nvidia's 'hobbling' is a (failed) PR exercise. They're doing a new line of cards for miners, then claiming they're doing gamers and everyone else a favour by locking miners out of the 3060s. Trying to have their cake and eat it.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Long time no post! The graphics card market still a total nightmare ..... but I have a spare!
Any CC member desperate for one I have a brand new unopened 12GB RTX 3060!! ^_^
Let me know. The last three I have tracked on Ebay have gone for £705 - £749 (madness!), but will take a 'sensible' offer.
Ta Ta ^_^

si_c

Guru
Long time no post! The graphics card market still a total nightmare ..... but I have a spare!
Any CC member desperate for one I have a brand new unopened 12GB RTX 3060!! ^_^
Let me know. The last three I have tracked on Ebay have gone for £705 - £749 (madness!), but will take a 'sensible' offer.
Ta Ta ^_^
I'd be tempted to make an offer, but I wouldn't be able to go above MSRP really, I'd suggest you sell it on ebay and maximise it's value. It'll only sell for what someone is willing to pay - you could always put it up for auction with a "sensible" reserve and let it take care of itself.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
So... Hearts Of Iron IV with the Kaiserreich Mod...

6a3786ac40ddcbf2-600x338.jpg

What a mess the USA find themselves in early on.
That's why I vastly prefer it over vanilla, every country is immediately interesting to play. Even minor nations in South America.
The only KR run I completed was as the Ottomans. It took me years to get across the Nile.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
That's why I vastly prefer it over vanilla, every country is immediately interesting to play. Even minor nations in South America.
The only KR run I completed was as the Ottomans. It took me years to get across the Nile.
Might give them a bash, lots of stability issues plaguing them. Should be an interesting one...

Top Bottom