Any PC gamers around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been afflicted since the original Doom yonks ago.
Anyone getting mildly excited about the new GeForce cards out soon? RTX 3090 is £1500 (gulp!).... half decent bike or graphics card?, now there's a question.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Crazy money. My son just upgraded from a GTX 970 to an RTX 2070 - £400 card, but eased with me giving him a good 'used rate' for me to use his old card in my daughter's new machine. It's doubled the frame rate - great for his VR - he had his 970 running very well with a clocked I7 4790. The 970 has gone in my daughter's new build as her games don't use the graphics as hard (League and siilar), although she has a 6 core Rizen 3600 and the fancy programmable RGB's in all the fan lights - it looks well cool - she was shocked as she hadn't expected it for her birthday.

My son does racing sims and 3 screens...

fossyant

PS - never go top end on PC graphics, it get's outdated very fast. The one level down is the sweet spot, and not the Ti issue for the extra little bit.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
PS - never go top end on PC graphics, it get's outdated very fast. The one level down is the sweet spot, and not the Ti issue for the extra little bit.
Same here, going RTX 3080 which is still fairly crazy money, but getting addicted to Flight Sim 2020 in 4K, so need some extra horsepower :okay:

fossyant

My son's 970 was £300-£400 when it came out, so I suggested the swap, so he paid £200 for the 2070 on top of my £200. I used to be in to it, and remember paying £250 for a Radeon 850 XT PE super duper one (over 25 years ago..... ):ohmy:

Now, not really interested, other than building them.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
My son's 970 was £300-£400 when it came out, so I suggested the swap, so he paid £200 for the 2070 on top of my £200. I used to be in to it, and remember paying £250 for a Radeon 850 XT PE super duper one (over 25 years ago..... ):ohmy:

Now, not really interested, other than building them.
Yeah building them is great fun. Got a new mobo, cpu and extra RAM upstairs waiting for a build, do it every 4 years, this will be number 5.

fossyant

Yeah building them is great fun. Got a new mobo, cpu and extra RAM upstairs waiting for a build, do it every 4 years, this will be number 5.

My daughter's machine looks great - ARGB fans - that's it. My son thought his blue LED fans wee good, then now programmable ones... it is a bottomless pit though.

si_c

Guru
I'd hold off buying a new GPU until AMD releases RDNA2. A lot of people are being dismissive of it, but it's a second generation card on the same process, should be a sizeable speed bump. And don't forget that the RDNA2 chips in the PS5 and new Xbox are slated to produce similar performance to a 2080TI now in under 200W.

Lots of things to keep in mind, not least of which is the wider memory bus so it will also likely have more onboard memory than the RTX line.

Top Bottom